• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dnaxx

Information retrieval - feature vector creation

This topic is 4569 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I did not find an appropiate forum with google for my question, so I'm trying it here :) although it's not game-related. I wrote a programm which calculates the optical flow of videos. Now I want to create feature vectors (for later information retrieval/comparison) from the optical flow data but I have no clue how to get started. In special, I don't understand how to build a feature vector. It would be great if someone could give me some hints. thank you,

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by dnaxx
Hello!

I did not find an appropiate forum with google for my question, so I'm trying it here :) although it's not game-related.

I wrote a programm which calculates the optical flow of videos. Now I want to create feature vectors (for later information retrieval/comparison) from the optical flow data but I have no clue how to get started. In special, I don't understand how to build a feature vector.

It would be great if someone could give me some hints.

thank you,

If you computed optical flow, then you end up with feature vectors.

Which quantities are you evaluating? Delta motion, then the resulting information is your vector. Image property changes? Then that is your vector.

What kind of vector do you want to build? This is entirely in the problem domain, there is no real general solution.

You'll most likely want to analyze optical flow at some subsampled level, then store that information. This process is commonly used in facial recognition.

What is your task, what are you trying to achieve? There is no general purpose algorithm (methodology obviously exists) since it will depend on your problem domain. What kind of retrieval/comparison? What exactly is the output of your optical flow calculation. Vector field? Variance values? Are they subsampled in any domain?

Thank you for your replies.
I already got a solution. My problem was, that I mixed up the whole stuff a bit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!