64-bit C++ compiler

Started by
12 comments, last by blaze02 17 years, 12 months ago
I have spent the past 3 hours scouring the internet for a free, 64-bit compiler and I seem to have had no luck. I need to use the "long long" data type, and none of the compilers I've downloaded seem to support it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Advertisement
Microsoft's compilers (including the free ones) support __int64 which is a 64-bit integer.
What is your target platform?
Gcc/Mingw?

This works on mine: long long i = 124234234535LL;
I'm using Windows. I went to the GCC website but it was an absolute mess and I got lost. I'll give Mingw a try.
Ah, I didn't know you had to put LL at the end of a long long. That works for me.

Are there any limitations to long long that don't apply to the other data types? In particular, I'm doing a lot of work with the mod function.
Well, remember that 64-bit arithmetic is not as fast as 32-bit integer numbers.
It is, of course fast enough for most things, but, for examples it would be
unwise making all integer numbers in your program a 'long long' on a 32-bit platform.

Waht do you want to use the 'long long' values for?
Quote:Original post by Wutalife37
Ah, I didn't know you had to put LL at the end of a long long. That works for me.

Are there any limitations to long long that don't apply to the other data types? In particular, I'm doing a lot of work with the mod function.

Do you only need long long for some encryption methods? The 64-bit and "a lot with mod" makes me think that.

Unless you really need the 64-bit byte-code getting a compiler for that is most likely redundant.

Well I'm doing some tests with very large numbers, so I have to do a series of operations with every number up to 10^15 or so.
if you go to cwiki.org and search for large number library, you will find my STL-based version. I used it for an RSA implementation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement