A newbie needs help

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 18 years ago
Hi there, As I am a complete newbie to graphic programming (but a serious C++ fan), I want to ask several questions. First, I need a simple (but fast) 2d engine for my simulation. Can you recommend me such a library? It should manage lines, circles etc. DirectX seems too complicated for me. OpenGL - the same thing (even worse). Allegro seemed nice, but only at the beginning. Perhaps I musunderstood some people's advices. For me simplicity and effectiveness is of great matter. I will be very gratefull if someone gives me a good starting point. It would be good, if the system cooperates with Windows and VS 2005 (but not a must - Linux development is OK).
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Advertisement
If you didn't like DirectX, OpenGL, and Allegro, you could try SDL (which also works on Linux), or Google around for something else. I've had problems compiling SDL with VS 2005, but it works good with VS 2003.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
You might also consider GDI+, plain old GDI, or even .net forms.

If your sprites are simple .net bitmaps, you can place them anywhere you want on your window. You can draw simple and complex shapes through various means. It isn't too copmlicated, and is fairly easy to debug (which isn't the case with most other libraries).

The "simple but fast" request doesn't really matter, since any 2D graphics you are doing will probably not tax modern computers at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement