• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Direct3D 9 Tangent Data

This topic is 4325 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I bet I am not the first one who asks the question but I could not find the information I needed, although I searched for hours. How do I have to modify my FVF to store tangent and binormal data and how do I bind this data to the semantics TANGENT and BINORMAL? This is my current vertex format:
D3DFVF_XYZW|D3DFVF_NORMAL|D3DFVF_TEX1
Now this is my attempt to add the data:
D3DFVF_XYZW|D3DFVF_NORMAL|D3DFVF_TEX3|D3DFVF_TEXCOORDSIZE2(0)|D3DFVF_TEXCOORDSIZE3(1)|D3DFVF_TEXCOORDSIZE3(2)
Well, it's not working. I also don't know how to bind the data: e.g. TEXCOORD1 -> BINORMAL, TEXCOORD2 -> TANGENT Thanks for reading Daniel

Advertisement
You're going to want to switch from using FVFs (which are converted to a VertexDeclaration on the IDirect3D9Device::SetFVF call anyway) to using Vertex Declarations, which allow you to specify vertex data in a format that cannot be represented by a FVF.

What mhamlin said is correct - you need to be using vertex declarations with the programmable pipeline. FVF's are more a legacy/fixed-function thing.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement