Consoles or PC?

Started by
20 comments, last by JBourrie 18 years ago
I got it.
Advertisement
So after all of that nonsense: I'll reply to the person who actually made the thread to begin with.
Quote:Hello there! I've been gone for a while, but now I'm back !

Hello.

Quote:Some people told me that the real game industry is running on consoles and that the PCs only hold about 10-20 pecent of the market. They said that although the PCs are far more advanced (allowing for better games), some factors (like piracy) realy restrain a small company to flurish.

True. The piracy issue is especially bad, because most of the ways that currently fix piracy end up causing technical issues on some machines. Companies who make casual games often don't do much for piracy protection, though, because casual gamers are less likely to go looking for illegal copies.
Quote:If somebody would make a nice game, do you think he/she should port it to consoles? Is console programming actualy possible for, let's say, an indie company?

Someone before mentioned Torque, which is a great place to start. Also, if you write your game with the platform specific modules (graphics, sound, input) very separated from the actual gameplay code, ports can go pretty smoothly (I wish that's what we had right now).

Finally, keep in mind the specific needs of different consoles. You shouldn't design things that work great in DirectX but are clunky in OpenGL if you plan to port to consoles (and vice versa). Flexibility is the key.

Quote:I mean I don't think all the licenses and the devtools required to make up something are quite cheap...

Nintendo Revolution devkits will be very cheap, but the licensing procedure will still be harsh (possibly harsher).

Quote:I'm kind of new to the console stuff, so please excuse me if this was a bad post .

No post is a bad post if you're asking questions. :)

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement