• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Wondering about notebook graphics cards

This topic is 4325 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a notebook, then upgrading the graphics card. I'd like to put in something like a ATI X1300 or X1600. Here's the hitch. All the laptops I'm looking at have an ExpressCard/54 slot in them. Is this the same as a pci or mxm slot. Are there any graphics cards that go into a ExpressCard/54 slot. Can i get a MXM laptop for less than a gazillion dollars. thx

Advertisement
Unless something has changed recently in laptop manufacturing, you can't upgrade core components like video cards and CPUs. About the only thing you can upgrade is the memory and drives in removable bays.

ExpressCard is a (non-compatabile but similar to PCMCIA) card slot. It holds things like removable network cards and modems, port adapters for external hard drives, TV input adapters, thumb-print scanners, and other fairly simple I/O cards. 3D graphics cards are not on that list.

With laptops, what you get with your initial purchase is what you keep forever.

And as for the cost, expect to pay 150%-200% for the joys of being portable and non-upgradable.

The only laptops that I remember that have the option to upgrade the graphics card are Alienware and Savrow. I don't know of any MXM laptops myself and surprised that I missed it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement