• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
magicdanw

Relative Newbie

This topic is 4591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! This is my first post here, glad to meet all of you :). I know relatively little about game programming. I know a fair amount of Visual Basic 6, and I'm just beginning to learn Java, but thats pretty much it. I'm interested in learning to develop games (duh), particuarly in the Point-and-Click Adventure genre (ie. Myst and the 7th Guest). Is VB an adequate language for such a venture, or is C++ the general basis? In addition, I barely know my way around 3d Studio Max. Is there any other program that is better suited for a newbie trying to make relatively nice 3d graphics? Thanks for your time!!! :-D

Advertisement
Blender is much, much cheaper. Learning curve is pretty steep on most 3d modeling programs though. The point and click adventure games are definitely not twitch games and are usualy prerendered so any speed problems usualy associated with VB and game development probably wouldn't be much of a factor in that genre.

Any programming language would work as long as there are libraries that do what you want. VB was once considered an inferior language by most people, but I think it really picked up with the .NET architecture. I wouldn't worry much about speed either, espeically if you're just starting out.

C++ isn't really the be-all end-all language people would make it out to be, but it certainly has the most tutorials and libraries and such. Though, if you're going to stick to VB, upgrade to the latest edition as VB6 is pretty bad.

You might also consider Python (particularly PyGame) or C#, but I've never done much with C# myself, so I wouldn't be the best recommendation for it.

Ok. So....look into blender. Check!

As for VB .NET, is it really that much better than 6? I was under the impression that it had been redone to be better with web-based apps...although I could be 100% wrong on that :P

Whatever. If I get a chance to try out .NET, I will (especially with Microsoft giving away the "Express" edition free...:-D). Is the transition from 6 to 2005 steep? Like, is it a whole new language?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!