• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
silverphyre673

Using "grammars" for name generation

This topic is 4501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I already developed a program to allow fairly expressive grammars to be defined for the purposes of name generation. They serve my purposes, anyway :) Now what I'm looking for is information on linguistics so that I can concoct decent grammar files. In addition, I know I read an article on this a while back (I have accidentally lost all my bookmarks since then), and I don't know where to find it. It's not the "name generation with grammars" here on GDnet... something a little more descriptive. If anyone has any ideas for where to find either of these, please respond. Thanks! Edit: I guess what I want more specifically is information on phonetics. Thanks again! Just found this article [Edited by - silverphyre673 on April 21, 2006 11:47:02 AM]

Advertisement
I remember there's one article in Game Programming Gems #1 about name generation, though it's rather short and probably won't help you much.

It looks like discussion pages of the article you mentioned are filled with some interesting thoughts and links: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?key=featart&uid=2016&forum_id=35&Topic_Title=Random+Name%2DGeneration+Using+Grammars

Other than that, quick search on Google and Wikipedia gave nothing :-/

Yeah, I read that article :) I read something else that was much, much more descriptive in describing the use of phonemes to make up a grammar. Figures that I can't find it now that I can put it into practice. And of course, google and wikipedia haven't really lead to anything useful. I guess I'll just hack around with the grammar file until it works or someone else links the article I'm thinking of. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!