Heightmaps

Started by
3 comments, last by Meganan 18 years ago
I want to start playing around with the creation of heightmaps. I know how to use them because i have the book BOGLGP (Beggining OpenGL Game Programming). Except the only problem is that the program i have found to do this gives me files in a .hmp format that are almost loaded perfectly into the program. The reason it is almost perfect is because the program expects a .raw file and i do not know how to make a hieghtmap in .raw. What i'm asking is that somebody please point me in the right direction to either learn how to put different types of hieghtmaps into my program or point me to a program that can make .raw hieghtmaps like the ones used in BOGLGP. Thankyou in advance.
<-> Rate someone badly if they say something that has absolutely nothing to do with your problem; don't rate people badly because they tried to help you with their limited knowledge. <->
Advertisement
The best heightmap/ground texture program that I know of is L3DT. google for it to find it. It's a great program that can inport and export lots of different kinds of formats including raw.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Terragen will also generate .raw heightmaps (it's what we used for the book).
The problem with raw-files is that they're just that; raw data. There are no conventions as to what a raw file should contain, in what order and in what format. Therefore you won't find a file-specification as there is none...

A small hint though: grayscale TGA-images will do the trick fine.
Thankyou very much this is great. I'm going to look them up and work it out. Thanks for your time.
<-> Rate someone badly if they say something that has absolutely nothing to do with your problem; don't rate people badly because they tried to help you with their limited knowledge. <->

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement