• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sria

Math and Programming..

This topic is 4501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that programming does involve math but I was wondering just how math dependant it is? I am not and have not ever been very good at or interested in Math. My goal with teaching myself to program is mostly to satisfy my desire to be creative and come up with and then create games or programs. I like the idea of creating stories and I also very much enjoy art. Programming is just something I have always wanted to get into and im finally starting to try it out. Basically my point is that if you believe in right v. left brain I would surely be a right brainer and I was wondering just how much this is going to hinder my endevours of game programming. Thanks :)

Advertisement
Programming often is a very specific type of math, and not what you see in the classroom.

Of course if you are doing 3D, physics, image processing, and many other things, it is math-intensive in the traditional sense.

But programming in general is the engineering of software, so you have to be a problem-solver. How does this work? Why doesn't this work? How can I make this work better? It's applied math. You use variables, addition, multiplication, etcetera.

There is a lot of logic and user interface programming that requires very little thought as far as math is concerned.

Physics, and 3d graphics are going to stress your math abilites. There is a heavy underlying need to understand the math behind the
calculations needed, even if a library is taking care of the actuall math for you. Since you need to know how it works to diagnose problems in your implementations.

Encryption, compression, and some algorithms will also require you to know decreete mathmatics and set theories.

Don't be discuraged from programming just because you dont know the math. There are lots of libraries you can use so you don't have to implement
the formula yourself. And there is plenty of game logic that doesn't require any mathmatical thought at all.

Well, that is encouraging.

Math is the bane of my existance :)

I suppose also maybe if I had a clear example of how and why I am using the formulas and equations I might be more inclined to understand it.

However when I cannot escape thinking "When the F am I ever going to need to know and memorize the quadratic formula in life!"

So maybe that will be a push in the right direction for my math prejiduced brain :D

Thank you for your replies

Quote:
Original post by Sria
I suppose also maybe if I had a clear example of how and why I am using the formulas and equations I might be more inclined to understand it.

Then derive them yourself and gain the understanding that way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!