how to do realistic water effect through cg

Started by
5 comments, last by Toji 17 years, 12 months ago
hello guys, i wanna do some realistic water effect in my program. but i cannot find information concerning those water technic behind those cool effect in those games i play. so is there any relative books or sites that i can find somewhere? thanks.
Advertisement
Do you know Yann's water article?

Lutz
thanks that is a great article.
I am wondering if the other parts of these series will ever be released. It would be really nice, because this article is really good, interesting and easy to follow :)

Kenzo
I seriously doubt it, it's been a long time since that article was published and Yann hasn't done anything with it since.

GPU Gems 2 has a great article called 'Generic Refraction' or something like that that shows how to do reflection, refraction, fresnel and some faked underwater fog. With full source of course, I highly recommend it.
that article is crap.

if your smart enough to understand the article you could probably figure it out for yourself. Especially the giant waffly sections.

Assumes way too much knowledge which shrinks the reader base.

Whats the point in an article like that?
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Quote:that article is crap.

Ouch. Way to step on some toes.

I haven't read the article, so I can't intelligently agree with or refute that, but you should be aware that the people of this forum have elevated Yann to the status of near-diety. Statements like this are always going to ruffle feathers, but I think you picked the wrong feathers to be ruffling.

As for the water rendering, I believe GPU Gems 2 has a section on it and this page has a bunch of cool stuff too. If you want a real-time demonstration of how water is rendered, check out Half Life 2's Lost Coast demo. If you play it with developer commentary one of the sections shows how they do the water.
// The user formerly known as Tojiro67445, formerly known as Toji [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement