• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MarkThrush

Problem with GeoMipMapping !

This topic is 4415 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've build up my terrain with the following: Quad-Tree => level 0 : 513x513 vertices, 9 geomipmaps level 1 : 257x257 vertices, 8 geomipmaps level 2 : 129x129 vertices, 7 geomipmaps level 3 : 65x65 vertices, 6 geomipmaps level 4 : 33x33 vertices, 5 geomipmaps level 5 : 17x17 vertices, 4 geomipmaps level 6 : 9x9 vertices, 3 geomipmaps level 7 : 5x9 vertices, 2 geomipmaps The only problem is how to choose the approriate geomipmap level. Currently I'm doing the following which doesn't work correcly:
fMinDistance[lev_mip-1] = 

(MAX_ERROR * 0.1f * screen_y_size) / 
(2.0f * TAU * sqrtf(2.0f * powf(tanf(FOV * 0.5), 2.0f)));

Then, in recursive rendering function I do the following: If distance from camera to center of current "block" is more than next fMinDistance[lev_mip], switch to it. Else if distance from camera to center of current "block" is less than previous fMinDistance[lev_mip], switch to it. Render with selected lev_mip or render with base "block" if no lev_mip is selected. Could you investigate how the correct fMinDistance SHOULD be calculated??

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!