• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Andybean9

OpenAL and a different coordinate system

This topic is 4441 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Got a question. I am putting OpenAL into a program and the coordinate system in this program is right handed, but +y points straight ahead, +z is up, and +x is right. I am trying to set up my listener orientation like this, { 0, 1.0, 0, 0, 0, 1.0 }. The only thing is nothing sounds right. Do I need to pass coordinates differently to the position function? like swap my y and z values. I've tried this and also no success. I think I basically don't understand what is happening here and any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks! Andrew

Advertisement
OpenAL uses a normal right-handed system so your X axis is the same as theirs, but your Y needs to be their -Z (ie. negated), and your Z needs to be their Y. Trigonometrically, it's a 90 degree rotation around the X axis.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!