Game Designer vs Marketing

Started by
3 comments, last by ishpeck 17 years, 12 months ago
First of all, i CAN be wrong and this is just my point of view because is the first time I stablish a work relationship for game development with Marketing department. Talking with one of the guys over there, he told me that "from my pint of view... you give us the idea, and WE (marketing and branding people) and we design every visual, history and name aspect, just because we know we know what can sell"... I can't believe that... what do you think guys? Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Goguigo
First of all, i CAN be wrong and this is just my point of view because is the first time I stablish a work relationship for game development with Marketing department. Talking with one of the guys over there, he told me that "from my pint of view... you give us the idea, and WE (marketing and branding people) and we design every visual, history and name aspect, just because we know we know what can sell"... I can't believe that... what do you think guys?

Well, over the years, I've seen a marked increase in the amount of input the marketing departments expects to have on a game...

When I joined the industry, you made the game and then marketing worked out how to sell it...

Then marketing started getting involved in the game from an earlier stage of development - letting the team know the sort of things that would be useful (for example - I worked with Sony for a while and their PR and marketing department liked to set out art, backstory, etc. that they would like to get from you to help market the game).

Some companies began taking this further - the marketing departments became the green light for games. If the marketing department couldn't get a handle on a game, or didn't know how to sell it, it didn't get green lit...

So the logical step is now marketing think they should design the game as well *rolls eyes*

Sounds like you're going to have a fight on your hands if you want to do things your own way...

First of all, i CAN be wrong and this is just my point of view because is the first time I stablish a work relationship for game development with Marketing department. Talking with one of the guys over there, he told me that "from my pint of view... you give us the idea, and WE (marketing and branding people) and we design every visual, history and name aspect, just because we know we know what can sell"... I can't believe that... what do you think guys?

Thanks

Ewww. I hate business.

I will say that those marketing guys are full of crap, but that's how it works in some studios. I don't have much experience in the matter, so I can't tell you if it's the defacto standard or not, but it sounds rather fishy to me. My first thought would be that whoever you're working for is full of crap, but I don't know that much about the matter.
::FDL::The world will never be the same
That sounds really tough. :/

Maybe you should look for a chance to argue about some aspects of from your developer site. Something like: You may know what you sell but WE know how the game works and this and that have to be made another way to make the game mechanics work properly. And best is that you further maybe make a little research about marketing and you could surprise him with knowledge about market shares and stuff. But I guess he'll give you a pretty hard time anyway. You could also consider going to this persons boss and try to talk to him about your ideas, but better do a good research and be well prepared when you take this step.

Anyway, good luck. :)

I recommend you find another project.

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement