Sign in to follow this  
FullThrottle

Need help finding a free 3d paint program

Hi guys, I've been searching around GameDev for posts about this and haven't come up with anything useful. I need help! Basicly, I've done some of my art for my current project and need a 3d paint tool to texture everything. It needs to be free, because our current funds are pretty low. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'm sure people who know more than I will come up with some more suggestions, but off the top of my head I would say try Gimp.

Do you mean something like Bodypaint? So that you can paint your 3d Mesh in 3D?

This one may be a solution:

http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/tattoo/

Keep in mind that you have to setup the UV space before importing your mesh into Tattoo. Cubic mapping is a no. We don´t want to paint at one place and having this colour at six sides of the mesh ;)

It´s not this complicated. Have a look in the help menu for the shortcuts ...

Besides that, you can always go the traditional route. Most of the current generation ones are able to export a bitmap of the UV space. Depends of your 3D Software. There are also several standalone apps for this task around. UVmapper for example.

http://www.uvmapper.com/

Then you can paint and tweak your texture in a 2D paint software. The better way anyway. But you have asked for a 3D paint app ;)

Since I'm a programmer/designer, my art sucks. I'm also not used to the tools, so I usually end up coloring an ear green by mistake(on 2d paint tools).I prefer 3d paint tools because I can see my mistakes in real-time, and fix them really quick.