Sign in to follow this  
mc30900

problom with TriangleStrip

hello all. i'm trying to make 2 squares which are touching each other. can anyone tell me why isnt this working (i see only one square)? first of all the vertices:
{-2.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f,  0.0f,0.0f },
	{ 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f,  1.0f,0.0f },
	{-2.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f,  0.0f,1.0f },
	{ 0.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f,  1.0f,1.0f },

{0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f,  0.0f,0.0f },
	{5.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f,  1.0f,0.0f },
	{0.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f,  0.0f,1.0f },
	{ 5.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f,  1.0f,1.0f },

and i render it like this:
    g_pd3dDevice->SetStreamSource( 0, g_pTriangleList_VB, 0, sizeof(Vertex) );
	g_pd3dDevice->SetFVF( D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX );
	g_pd3dDevice->DrawPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 0, 4 );

can anyone tell me what is the problom? thanks in advance

I don't have time to draw it out myself, but I highly recommend you do that..

Most of these simple things can be solved by drawing it on paper to make sure that you've got the layout you intended..

Assuming you've got the layout, then change D3DRS_CULLMODE to D3DCULL_NONE - that should give you the shape you desire; if not, then move the vertices until you do...

The next step is to change the vertex/index ordering so that you get the same layout when using D3DCULL_CCW (or D3DCULL_CW).

hth
Jack

You're trying to draw 4 triangles with 8 vertices, as if they are two distinct strips. 8 vertices translate to 6 triangles. If you draw 6 triangles with your call, you should see the 2 squares (I guess the 2 spurious triangles are invisible).

It's possible to get things working with strips, but I'd highly suggest working with an indexed triangle list, which is easier conceptually.

Yeah, you need a vertex index buffer if you want to draw 2 squares with only 8 vertices, like ET3D said. But if you dont want to use indexed vertices, you will need 12 vertices. I highly suggested using indexes though, for one thing, the vertex buffer is half the size. But yeah, either 6 vertices and a vertex buffer, or 12 vertices and no index buffer. Good luck.

It should be possible to do this with a 9 vertex triangle strip, using one vertex to create a degenerate triangle and then switching vertex order for the second quad.

However, that's just unnecessarily complicated, IMO.