Sign in to follow this  
Tradone

[web] How Long Have You Been In The Web Business?

Off and on since 1996 when I HTML-ised a glossary for my employer's intranet with a Perl script and knocked up a Web demonstration site for a company anniversary event (got a bottle of wine for my efforts). Even played around with WAIS and Mosaic.

Quote:
Original post by Tradone
What were your greatest achievements in your opinion?
and what was the most important skill acquired?

Greatest achievement: The creation of Elsi, a bugzilla like issue tracker aimed at corporate IT support desks, and convincing my boss that I can release it under the GPL in the future :-)

Skill: Juggling standards. Web development is littered with standards, specifications, recommendations, RFC's, best practices and more. Mostly due to it being at a crossroads of different technologies. Trying to manage that overload of information and keeping track of the two-three dozen that apply to your project at any moment is hard.

Quote:
Original post by Sander
Skill: Juggling standards. Web development is littered with standards, specifications, recommendations, RFC's, best practices and more. Mostly due to it being at a crossroads of different technologies. Trying to manage that overload of information and keeping track of the two-three dozen that apply to your project at any moment is hard.

I will very well keep that in mind.

Quote:
Original post by Tradone
I will very well keep that in mind.

There's a standard for almost everything. Case in point: OPML A webstandard for making lists of things (like a list of links or RSS feeds or whatever). [rolleyes]

Whenever I finish my new website, I'm sure to write a little piece about this "standards proliferation".