Sign in to follow this  
evanrogers

Project Playground demo

brandonman    102
had to turn off the laptop:my cursor got stuck in the center and hit ctr+alt+del but it wouldn't let cursor select end task-stuck in the project playground demo. Please fix this

evanrogers    122
Press TAB to release/grab the mouse. It's the first line on the instructions as soon as you open the program. I agree it's weird, but I wanted to use the mouse for directing the camera in windowed mode, and it would be annoying if the mouse could move outside the window causing it to lose focus when you click. Any ideas?

- Evan

Passa    132
Hidden
I tried it out, and while of course there isn't much to do in this demo, it does have nice physics with the cubes and the spheres, with only minor bugs occuring sometimes such as two objects sticking to another and boucing around strangely.

The mouse grab feature is fine, maybe change it so that the mouse grab only works when the window is active so people can still Alt+Tab out of the application. Also, it would be nice to have a button that quits for you automatically.

evanrogers    122
Thanks for the input. I realize I never explained what the concept of the game is:

I wanted design a system in which the player can construct things in the game using lego style blocks that "snap" together when they get close to one another. In the final version there will be several different shaped blocks (not just cubes) and the player will be able to load and save the models they create.

So let me describe specifically how it works now:

When you grab a block from the world or your block library, a black outline appears around the block. When you move the block near the ground or another block, the closest surfaces will "snap" together, and nearby edges will align. However, the black outline of the block will remain centered on the cursor, to show you the position from where the block is being transformed.

I think a system in which the players can construct and modify buildings (a la the sims) will have great potential in a first person game. Imagine a team based shooter in which each team can build and modify their home base.

I also just finished an intro to mechanical engineering course and wanted to try some physics simulation. :)

I am aware there are problems with optimization and collision detection accuracy. But I think this whole concept is very new (at least i've never seen anything like it) so it's just a big experiment right now.

I greatly appreciate further input, suggestions, and criticism.

- Evan

Sign in to follow this