• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Liquid-Snake

[.net] Importable COM DLL written in C++ for C#?

This topic is 4444 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I want to create a COM DLL written in C++ so I can import it easily in my C# application. More specifically, I would like to create a COM DLL so that I could just add it under "References" in my C# application and be able to use it ala .NET framework/classes style. (i.e. be able to import the namespace and use it like everyhing else in the .NET framework) Is this possible, and how would I go about doing this? Thanks guys.

Advertisement
If you only want to import some native C++ code in your C# program I recommend the usage of the CLR/C++ compiler. You get what you want and don’t need to mess around with COM.

Thanks for the response guys.

Bob Janova: I have an engine written in C++ that I want to expose to C#. Basically I'm writing the Level Editor/GUI in C# (since it's a nice language to do it in).

How do I create a COM object from my C++ code? Do you guys know of any tutorials available, or perhaps some sample code?

THANKS alot!

Long story short, I have a game completely written in non-managed C++, and I want to write a level editor in C#. Therefore I need to expose my C++ engine to my C# application.

I've done this before using P/Invoke, i.e. importing the DLL symbols via attributes/DLL imports, but I'd hate to write all these wrappers for my whole engine (and I would have to do it in 2 places, DLL exporting my interfaces in C++ and importing those interfaces in my C# app).

It's pretty nice what Tom Miller and the rest of the gang at the MDX team did. I like how you get the whole DX interface just by importing the namespace and using it.

I want that very same thing :)

If you want to do the same thing you should use CLR/C++ to build a small wrapper around your unmanaged C++ objects. This is how MDX and many other assemblies build. I have done the same for the RawInput API and started to build a managed Direct3D 10 layer.

Excellent, thanks for the reply Demirug!

Do you know of any examples or samples in which I can see this? I have my code base in (.h) headers and .cpp files, and I'd hate to copy and paste this stuff into managed C++ with unsafe { } blocks to get it to compile into managed-c++/clr.

You don’t need unsafe blocks in CLR/C++ as you can mix managed and unmanaged classes in one DLL. The compiler will do all the dirty work behind. If your Engine is already in a DLL I recommend that you create a new CLR/C++ project that includes this DLL like a normal C++ Application. Than you can create a managed class for every unmanaged class you want to export to C#. This managed class can than contains pointers to your unmanaged classes.
Maybe this small example from my managed D3D10 layer can help you:

pragma once

#include "ShaderByteCode.h"
#include "DeviceChild.h"

using namespace System::Runtime::InteropServices;

namespace DirectX
{
namespace Direct3D10
{
public ref class PixelShader : DeviceChild
{
public:
PixelShader(DirectX::Direct3D10::Device^ device, ShaderByteCode^ bytecode)
{
CreateInternal (device, bytecode->Code);
}

property ShaderByteCode^ ByteCode
{
ShaderByteCode^ get ()
{
DirectX::Direct3D10::Device^ device = Device;

if (device->NativeStateMirror == NULL)
throw gcnew InvalidCallException ();

D3D10_PIXEL_SHADER_DESC Desc;

HRESULT hr = device->NativeStateMirror->GetPixelShaderDesc (shader, &Desc);

Direct3D10Exception::CheckResult (hr);

return gcnew ShaderByteCodePointer ((void*)Desc.pFunction, Desc.SizeInBytes);
}
}

internal:
PixelShader(ID3D10PixelShader* shader)
: shader (shader)
{
Register ();
}

property ID3D10PixelShader* Shader
{
ID3D10PixelShader* get ()
{
return shader;
}
}
virtual property ID3D10DeviceChild* NativeChild
{
ID3D10DeviceChild* get () override
{
return shader;
}
}

virtual void ClearNativeChild () override
{
shader = NULL;
}

protected:
ID3D10PixelShader* shader;

void CreateInternal (DirectX::Direct3D10::Device^ device, void* pcode)
{
ID3D10PixelShader* pShader;

HRESULT hr = device->NativeDevice->CreatePixelShader (pcode, &pShader);

Direct3D10Exception::CheckResult (hr);

shader = pShader;

Register ();
}
};
}
}

Awesome, thanks Demirug.

I need to pick up a managed-c++ book, or read about it online -- I'm only versed in C#! Any recommendations?

This looks like exactly what I need. Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!