Sign in to follow this  
MessyO

.X Exporter problem (3D Studio)

MessyO    122
Hi Guys, I'm in a bit of a bind so I hope someone can help! I've been trying to get an X file animation system working and I've succeeded. It works fine with every X file I can find from samples such as that included with the DirectX SDK. I have an animated model in 3D Studio Max and all I want to do is export it and get it animating. Seeing as my code works absolutely fine with X files I guess I must be having some exporter problems. I've tried using the latest version of the Panda exporter but the model doesn't animate correctly, either the bones are messed up, the model is spikey, or in some cases it just wont render at all, exporting with no anim data is fine. I did a forum search and found that someone reccomended the Quest3D exporter so I tried that. The Max 7.0 specific verison crashes 3D Studio on startup, and the other versions wont export animation data, it has automatically decided that I can have zero bones per vertex and as such I don't get any anims even if I specificy to export anims. I was wondering if anyone knows what I might be doing wrong or if there's a decent exporter for Max 7.0 out there? Many thanks, Oli.

Samurai Jack    455
Greetings!

You should take ActorX (unreal) and export PSK/PSA files and then use MilkShape or Blender to get .X files. The best guess would be Milkshape altough it does not perfeclty export .X files. The problem is HALF-LIFE 1 and it stupid math libraries (matlib) where almost noone that writes an exporter understands what they are doing (ok, they know they are dealing with matrices).

What you should do is:
a) Collapse your mesh in 3dsmax before applying Character Studio
b) Applay Character STudio with RIGID blending. This is important! Only Rigid blending works! You can use up to 4 bones.
c) Export with ActorX (it is free, epic, unreal)
d) Use Milkshape and produce .X files

I have written my own exporters but I have spent too many time and resources to give them free away. Jim Adams also wrote a .MS3D (milkshape) to .X exporter in his skeletal animation book.

Samurai Jack    455
Greetings!

You should take ActorX (unreal) and export PSK/PSA files and then use MilkShape or Blender to get .X files. The best guess would be Milkshape altough it does not perfeclty export .X files. The problem is HALF-LIFE 1 and it stupid math libraries (matlib) where almost noone that writes an exporter understands what they are doing (ok, they know they are dealing with matrices).

What you should do is:
a) Collapse your mesh in 3dsmax before applying Character Studio
b) Applay Character STudio with RIGID blending. This is important! Only Rigid blending works! You can use up to 4 bones.
c) Export with ActorX (it is free, epic, unreal)
d) Use Milkshape and produce .X files

I have written my own exporters but I have spent too many time and resources to give them free away. Jim Adams also wrote a .MS3D (milkshape) to .X exporter in his skeletal animation book.

ViLiO    1326
Quote:
Original post by Samurai Jack
Sorry for double post - Bon Echo (Experimental FireFox 2 messed it up).

You can delete your own posts by clicking the edit button to the top right, then checking the delete box on the message compose page and then submitting the message like an edit.

(will delete this myself later, sorry for the off topicness [smile])

Regards,
ViLiO