First Person Shooter Contest...

Started by
20 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 11 months ago
Alright Here is what i want to do with everyone, or at least as many people as possible. I am going to give instructions on the next thing to build in your game. Here's what we are going to do. We are going to make a 10 level - Shoot'em up game. I know this is not the most popular genre of games, especially since it really depends on the amount of effort you put into the game. ok we are going to make this game in 15 days (give or take a little more) but when we are done, i will post them all for download so we can see which gets the highest quality/playability rating. If you are wanting to give this a shot, just Reply to this , and let me know, i will begin designing, on April 25, 2006, so all who would like to participate need to let me know before then. - Cruse - CEO - Lead Programmer/Designer www.Risen-Online.com [Edited by - Mr_Cruse on April 25, 2006 11:19:46 PM]
Advertisement
Not a bad idea I guess, but how about some specifics? What language and/or API will you use or will it be more like pseudocode? 3d or 2d? I would assume this is geared toward newcomers, since the title speaks of 'first game', but how difficult will this be? Will there be any time between steps to allow for missing a day (basically, how often will there be updates and how much time does one have to devote to this)?

People will need more info before showing interest...

On another note, I think a lot of people look for this sort of thing, so it might turn out alright. Good luck.
This is what is really going to make this a very interesting project, really, im just going to be coaching along, if you have a language you are more comfortable with, then, use that one. Game designs, and programming, are not handed to you when you say " I want to make games ", and this is how i learned, so im hoping this will push people to get the resources they need to get the job done.

Those who complete the project at the end of the 15 to 20 days of design time worked harder on getting their necessary resources.

So to be more specific for everyone, This is going to be a creative project, different languages, different levels, and the only thing thats going to be the same, is that we are all creating the same type of game, with the same amount of levels, in the same amount of time. And all of the differences will stick out rather than in most Competitions.
Great idea! but do i get it right?
You mean everyone is going to write a shoot'em'up project by themselves, and in 15..20 days you post results and announce the next assignment/feature to add to the project,then in 2 weeks you post updated projects and the next task et cetera?

Check me in, anyways. I'm going to do it in с++ and opengl, with probably no other sdks except for my own ones.

More details would be good, yeah.
No, we are all going to individually be designing our own first person within a 15 to 20 day period, and each must contain the following:

1. 10 levels
2. minimum 5 weapons
3. Lots of props
4. 2 Enemies (minimum)
5. HUD optional

Good luck to you all. we start tomorrow.

Mr_Cruse
And what do we get for winning?
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
So wait a minute, are you telling us which piece to write each day (like Day1: setup the window, ect. Day2: get a gun onscreen), or is it like "Finish the game within 15-20 days. Now we go on to the next game?"
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
And what do we get for winning?

I'll give the winner a hug.

Why was this posted in the game design forum?
I am pushing back the starting day, to the 30th of this month. Reason being that i have just changed the order in which we will be designing this game.

~The order in which you create things is up to you.
~Each day your progress will need to be posted on this forum.
~On the final day each of the participants will post their finished product with full description and author's name to be voted on at www.risen-online.com

As an individual representing Risen Online Entertainment Game Studios, I may or may not participate in this development chaos, this has also been another reason for the pushing back the dates.

The Prize for winning will be the following (given the requirements are fulfilled)

Risen Online Entertainment will design a standard basic game, provided that the winner has TWO (minimum) or more individuals to setup the designs, and artwork that will be used to create the game. You will be given full credit for the games design not the development.

Prize may change before the beginning of the competition but will be announced the day before IF any changes should occur.

All participants must post their name and email address, along with a Heading that says "Contest Participant"

Korey

Risen Online Entertainment
CEO
Lead Programmer/Graphic Designer

www.Risen-Online.com
First Place also gets a hug from Mushu

Thank you Mushu for your support.

Korey

Risen Online Entertainment
CEO
Lead Programmer/Graphice Designer

www.Risen-Online.com