Sign in to follow this  
Tradone

[web] Your FTP Client

I've been using AlFTP for about 4 years now. Until recently just got fed up with wrong files getting uploaded and deleted when multiple instances of the program is running. Okay, that's bad. So I started using smartFTP, but their login manager tool is really no good. The AI of smartFTP's intelligence to save / overwrite different ID's in the same IP address doesn't quite gets the job done intelligently. for example I have 5 accounts in the IP address 123.123.123.123. smartFTP gets confused and just overwrites over each account meaning I can't automatically have multiple accounts on the same IP address. I can still manage IP addresses the manual way, but it's somewhat frustrating. The GUI for smartFTP is very confusing at first, hard to locate what's what. The really conveniency for smartFTP over AlFTP was multiple instances. It was like word vs notepad. What kind of FTP client do you use? and are there any excellent free FTP clients? [Edited by - Tradone on April 23, 2006 1:50:17 PM]

I've been using SmartFTP for 6 years and I just recently switch to the 2.0 and I find that even better. You may want to look at CuteFTP if it's still in production or maybe WiseFTP.

gFTP on the Linux desktop, Windows Explorer and HTML-Kit's built-in FTP client on Windows and commandline FTP on anything else (most notably our OpenVMS server)

I thought I'd take the opportunity to state the obvious: that you shouldn't be using FTP at all for anything any more.

FTP is a uniquely old and horrible protocol. It dates back to the earliest days of the internet (yes, I said internet - FTP predates the WWW by at least 8 years).

Moreover, it's hopelessly inefficient, and not secure.

FTP clients and servers are typically somewhat incompatible with each other - there isn't even particularly a standard for directory listings in machine-readable format.

Just use a secure protocol (i.e. one which encrypts your authentication and files) and one which is supported by your operating system.

In practice this means either using sftp (NOT FTPS!), scp, Windows Terminal Server file transfer thingy, DAV over HTTPS, etc.

Alternatively, just knock up a VPN and transfer your files via your normal OS network file protocol.

Mark