Sign in to follow this  
ghost1206

(C++) bltfast or lock/unlock?

Greetings to all, I am currently trying to write a strategy game and the problem that I am facing relates to a decision I must make: should I stick with bltfast or should I try to implement my own blitter using memcpy and locking/unlocking the surface only once per flip? I noticed that people in the internet are saying that there isn't much difference. In fact in case a video accelerator is present, bltfast is the best one can get. Others, however, say that a custom blitter could be twice or even three time as fast as bltfast! I would appreciate if you could spare some time to state your opinion on the matter, since I would hate to spend a great deal of time in something too "hairy" and not really beneficial. Cheers, G.

BltFast is usually hardware accelerated, while lock/memcpy/unlock isn't (and can't be). Use BltFast as long as it works for you. The only reason to do a lock/memcpy/unlock would be to render something that's not rectangular (e.g. A software 3D engine would need access to the backbuffer directly to plot pixels during rasterization)