Sign in to follow this  
NickGravelyn

GLUT On Windows

I recently made a little demo in GLUT showing some 2D procedural terrain generation. It compiles and runs perfectly on my Mac with no issues whatsoever. Then I come to Windows and it seems like GLUT is hardly supported. I've used three different IDEs and two compilers (the mingw/GCC compiler and the Visual Studio (lcc?) compiler) yet I get a bunch of undefined errors and something about the variable type 'short' being redefined. Is it really this hard or am I doing it wrong? It's possible. Is there a quick and easy process to making a simple GLUT application compile? I'd even be cool with command line compilers (that's how I'm working on my Mac). Thanks for any help and please be easy on the insults if I really am making this harder than it is.

Quote:
Original post by NickGravelyn
I recently made a little demo in GLUT showing some 2D procedural terrain generation. It compiles and runs perfectly on my Mac with no issues whatsoever. Then I come to Windows and it seems like GLUT is hardly supported. I've used three different IDEs and two compilers (the mingw/GCC compiler and the Visual Studio (lcc?) compiler) yet I get a bunch of undefined errors and something about the variable type 'short' being redefined. Is it really this hard or am I doing it wrong? It's possible. Is there a quick and easy process to making a simple GLUT application compile? I'd even be cool with command line compilers (that's how I'm working on my Mac). Thanks for any help and please be easy on the insults if I really am making this harder than it is.

I've also been switching from a UNIX environment to Windows a lot recently. If you want to do things on Windows like they were in an UNIX (like) environment, download the mingw32 suite from their website and also get the MSYS package. It gives you a half working bash shell on Windows.

About GLUT, I downloaded it from here but if that doesn't work, search for freeglut on sourceforge, the original GLUT isn't developed any more.