• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
supermegavkoy

Cell-shading texture

This topic is 4440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am makinga computer game and have a question. It will be a cell-shading game, and I wonder if I can use all kind of textures so it still works with the cell-shading rendering? Or do I have to keep within a limit of different types of textures? I hope you understand my question(s). Thank you in advance, Vkoy

Advertisement
Well, it's usually called cel-shading (I think a cel is some sort of old animation term), but skipping over that...

You ought to be able to use any texture you like, yes. Now, I don't know what you're using to do your rendering, but I hope it can take anything you throw at it. You can always just try it, you know. Often, the entire image will be rendered normally, and *then* cel-shaded afterwards.

That's not to say that all textures would be useful, for example. Flat colors are all the rage in cel-shading. 'Dirty' textures often end up as awkward messes.

Anyways, if you have any more information on what you're doing, I might be able to understand your question more (I really don't have a clue what you're asking right now).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!