• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GSS

OpenGL Performance Issue

This topic is 4443 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm new to OpenGL, and right now I'm having trouble getting a smooth framerate/picture in some simple code :( Here is the code; I'm looking for ways to improve performance, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks note: I'm using targa images for textures, would that have any effects? void Building::draw() { glPushMatrix(); glTranslated(xpos, 0, zpos); glBegin(GL_QUADS); // draw top w/o texture glNormal3f(0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3d(0, height, 0); glVertex3d(width, height, 0); glVertex3d(width, height, length); glVertex3d(0, height, length); glEnd(); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, teximage->GetWidth(), teximage->GetHeight(), 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, teximage->GetImage()); glBegin(GL_QUAD_STRIP); glNormal3f(0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f); glTexCoord2f(2.0, 0.0); glVertex3d(0, 0, 0); glTexCoord2f(0.0, 0.0); glVertex3d(0, height, 0); glTexCoord2f(2.0, 2.0); glVertex3d(width, 0, 0); glTexCoord2f(0.0, 2.0); glVertex3d(width, height, 0); glNormal3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); glTexCoord2f(2.0, 0.0); glVertex3d(width, 0, length); glTexCoord2f(0.0, 0.0); glVertex3d(width, height, length); glNormal3f(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); glTexCoord2f(2.0, 2.0); glVertex3d(0, 0, length); glTexCoord2f(0.0, 2.0); glVertex3d(0, height, length); glNormal3f(-1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); glTexCoord2f(2.0, 0.0); glVertex3d(0, 0, 0); glTexCoord2f(0.0, 0.0); glVertex3d(0, height, 0); glEnd(); glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glPopMatrix(); } void CGfxOpenGL::Render() { // Clear screen glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT); // Load Identity Matrix glLoadIdentity(); // Make sure that closer objects get drawn last glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); //gluLookAt(25.0, 15.0, 50.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0); // move back x units and rotate about all 3 axes glTranslated(-50.0+trx, -50.0+trys, -150.0+trz); //X-axis rotation glRotatef(x_angle, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); // Y-axis rotation glRotatef(y_angle, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); // Z-axis rotation glRotatef(z_angle, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); glEnable(GL_LIGHTING); glLightModeli(GL_LIGHT_MODEL_TWO_SIDE, GL_TRUE); Light1 l2(5.0f, 15.0f, 5.0f, 1); l2.draw(); glEnable(GL_COLOR_MATERIAL); drawAll(); // draws an array of buildings using building.draw() }

Advertisement
Immediate mode can be pretty fast. It's certainly not the biggest problem in the code above.

The problem with the code above is that it re-uploads the texture data every frame. That will make it slow. You should use glGenTextures(), glBindTexture(), and only use glTexImage2D() once for the texture in question. Then re-bind the texture when you want to draw the building.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks for the help :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!