Sign in to follow this  
RZOA

Programming

RZOA    122
Hi, I am an engineering student, and I am planning to learn C++ during this summer by myself (Iam totally new to this, all I know up to now is java for univ. course). I already ordered a book called “C++ primer plus”. However I just want some expert advice as if this is the best way to start learning programming. In particular, is it better to start with VC++ than C++. I am not an expert but what I understand is that VC++ is C++ but with additional features for windows stuff, so does this mean I better cancel that order on the book and get one on VC++, that way I learn C++ plus VC++? Please note that iam not under any kind of restriction such as time or job, so I just wana know what is the proper way to start learn programming (I already know java)

RZOA    122
Quote:
Original post by TheTroll
Learn basic c++ first. You need to know the basics before you go on to learning more.

theTroll

but isnt vc++ the same as c++ but with more features, so if i get a vc++ book, i actually got c++ with the extra all in one! (is this right or are things more complicated than i think)

Sria    157
I would get beggining C++ game programming. I just started out without any previous programming knowledge and it is very easy to understand and it all compiles well. I am using Visual Studio 2005 which Im pretty sure is a VC++ compiler, so I would just go for that.

SelethD    456
Its not the same to get a vc++ book instead of a c++ book. A c++ book will cover in detail the c++ language, and you really need to understand the fundamental structure of c++ before moving on to vc++ and other stuff.

a vc++ book might lightly cover basic c++ stuff, but it will mainly work with things like creating a window, dialog boxes, threads and more advanced stuff that you dont want to get bogged down into, until you are comfortable with just pure plain vanilla c++

RZOA    122
Quote:
Original post by SelethD
Its not the same to get a vc++ book instead of a c++ book. A c++ book will cover in detail the c++ language, and you really need to understand the fundamental structure of c++ before moving on to vc++ and other stuff.

a vc++ book might lightly cover basic c++ stuff, but it will mainly work with things like creating a window, dialog boxes, threads and more advanced stuff that you dont want to get bogged down into, until you are comfortable with just pure plain vanilla c++

Thanks very much for ur clear answer, helped clear the confusion I got, so ill just carry on as planned, c++ first

thanks

Zahlman    1682
VC++ is indeed short for "Visual C++", but it is NOT a different language or variant in the way that VB is different from ordinary BASIC; it is simply the C++-related component of Visual Studio (an IDE). Any other "features" are implemented through libraries, and there's nothing to prevent you from linking with those libraries using another compiler and/or IDE.

Just learn the language. Your university textbook wasn't an AWT or Swing textbook; it was a Java textbook - with good reason.

DinGY    204
Quote:
Original post by RZOA
Hi,

I am an engineering student, and I am planning to learn C++ during this summer by myself (Iam totally new to this, all I know up to now is java for univ. course). I already ordered a book called “C++ primer plus”. However I just want some expert advice as if this is the best way to start learning programming. In particular, is it better to start with VC++ than C++. I am not an expert but what I understand is that VC++ is C++ but with additional features for windows stuff, so does this mean I better cancel that order on the book and get one on VC++, that way I learn C++ plus VC++?

Please note that iam not under any kind of restriction such as time or job, so I just wana know what is the proper way to start learn programming (I already know java)

Do you have Msn Messager or Yahoo Messager? Maybe I could help you out in real-life chatting.