• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Programming

This topic is 4413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am an engineering student, and I am planning to learn C++ during this summer by myself (Iam totally new to this, all I know up to now is java for univ. course). I already ordered a book called “C++ primer plus”. However I just want some expert advice as if this is the best way to start learning programming. In particular, is it better to start with VC++ than C++. I am not an expert but what I understand is that VC++ is C++ but with additional features for windows stuff, so does this mean I better cancel that order on the book and get one on VC++, that way I learn C++ plus VC++? Please note that iam not under any kind of restriction such as time or job, so I just wana know what is the proper way to start learn programming (I already know java)

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by TheTroll
Learn basic c++ first. You need to know the basics before you go on to learning more.

theTroll

but isnt vc++ the same as c++ but with more features, so if i get a vc++ book, i actually got c++ with the extra all in one! (is this right or are things more complicated than i think)

I would get beggining C++ game programming. I just started out without any previous programming knowledge and it is very easy to understand and it all compiles well. I am using Visual Studio 2005 which Im pretty sure is a VC++ compiler, so I would just go for that.

Its not the same to get a vc++ book instead of a c++ book. A c++ book will cover in detail the c++ language, and you really need to understand the fundamental structure of c++ before moving on to vc++ and other stuff.

a vc++ book might lightly cover basic c++ stuff, but it will mainly work with things like creating a window, dialog boxes, threads and more advanced stuff that you dont want to get bogged down into, until you are comfortable with just pure plain vanilla c++

Quote:
Original post by SelethD
Its not the same to get a vc++ book instead of a c++ book. A c++ book will cover in detail the c++ language, and you really need to understand the fundamental structure of c++ before moving on to vc++ and other stuff.

a vc++ book might lightly cover basic c++ stuff, but it will mainly work with things like creating a window, dialog boxes, threads and more advanced stuff that you dont want to get bogged down into, until you are comfortable with just pure plain vanilla c++

Thanks very much for ur clear answer, helped clear the confusion I got, so ill just carry on as planned, c++ first

thanks

VC++ is indeed short for "Visual C++", but it is NOT a different language or variant in the way that VB is different from ordinary BASIC; it is simply the C++-related component of Visual Studio (an IDE). Any other "features" are implemented through libraries, and there's nothing to prevent you from linking with those libraries using another compiler and/or IDE.

Just learn the language. Your university textbook wasn't an AWT or Swing textbook; it was a Java textbook - with good reason.

Quote:
Original post by RZOA
Hi,

I am an engineering student, and I am planning to learn C++ during this summer by myself (Iam totally new to this, all I know up to now is java for univ. course). I already ordered a book called “C++ primer plus”. However I just want some expert advice as if this is the best way to start learning programming. In particular, is it better to start with VC++ than C++. I am not an expert but what I understand is that VC++ is C++ but with additional features for windows stuff, so does this mean I better cancel that order on the book and get one on VC++, that way I learn C++ plus VC++?

Please note that iam not under any kind of restriction such as time or job, so I just wana know what is the proper way to start learn programming (I already know java)

Do you have Msn Messager or Yahoo Messager? Maybe I could help you out in real-life chatting.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!