Lowering the polycount

Started by
7 comments, last by daniel_i_l 18 years ago
I found a free tank model here: http://gunpoint-3d.com/downloads.php?id=M1Abrams But I have milkshape and it cna't handle more that about 50000 vertices. Can someone with a better program download it, lower the polycount, and send it to me at: daniel_i_l@yahoo.com ? Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Advertisement
How many polys you want?
No, now that I look at the model. Its over 120,000 poly's and more than 230 objects...that would require hours of modification to create a model that should only take 2 hours to create in a normal fashion. If you have any money, im sure you can buy one for cheep on turbosquid, or ask someone here.
Doesn't your program have some fast poly reduction thing? In Milkshape you can tell it to reduce the number and it does it byitself. I obviously don't expect anyone to do it by hand!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
You can import your model to GTS and reduce the vertex/triangle count with it. Alternatively D3DX has some classes/functions for this job.
--
yes, but the tank is built of large scale detail, the chances of a blender destructor lowering the mesh to something useable is unlikely, especially for use in a game.
Wow - those models are incredibly high in detail. I can't imagine you would be able to use them for anything except pre-rendered material (or as a reference to make your own, less ridiculously large model from). Anyways, I guess you could give it a try (slowpid or someone else, I guess, if MilkShape can't handle it) and see what happens.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
OK, emailed you two versions. One is the 50k version so you can edit it in Milkshape, its not TOO bad, but its converted to triangles, which is a real annoyance. Second is an 8k version, so you can see why no one uses the 'automatic poly reduction' tool.
My suggestion is to use renders of the model as sprites or as the texture for a placeholder box, or find someone/learn how to model the relatively simple task of a tank, and use the provided textures you linked to.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Wow, thanks a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement