c# or c++

Started by
9 comments, last by password 17 years, 12 months ago
hi, im planning on starting with game programming but i was wondering which language is better c++ or c# and which one is used for bigger commercial games?
Advertisement
neither language is "better" than the other, as everybody here is going to tell you

at the moment, i think c++ is probably more used in commercial games, but there have been some threads about c# coming into the spotlight in the years to come
Quote:Original post by bleep
hi,

im planning on starting with game programming but i was wondering which language is better c++ or c# and which one is used for bigger commercial games?

I would really recommend you give both a shot, because language vs. threads usaully end up with 10 pages from boths sides with tons of misinformation about which is "better".

C++ is used more for bigger commercial games, but part of that has to do with the fact that the industry is slow to change. There are plenty of places still using C, but that doesn't make it a good choice.
There really needs to be a sticky on this...

Anyway, C# is probably a better language for a beginner, although I haven't really worked with it that much. C++ is still the most widely used language in the games industry, so if you're planning to get a job in the next few years, you'll need to know C++.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
alright thnks i'll give them both a try,
but what are the differences between them anyway?
i think c++ is harder than c#
c# like vb
---------------------------- My English is not very good.
Quote:Original post by bleep
alright thnks i'll give them both a try,
Trying out both will give you a good understanding of what's required to accomplish the same thing in both languages. You'll end up comparing both of them and learn that things can be accomplished in any language, as long as the right tools are available. Make a simple "guess the number" game in both using the console and see which one you find easier to use.

The big thing in programming isn't the language you know, but the concepts introduced behind it.

Quote:Original post by song6295
i think c++ is harder than c#
Your arguments are completely untrue. Although C++ is harder to learn then C#, this is only because of the amount of tools available to you in the languages. The .NET Framework gives you a huge amount of opportunity that's not available in C++ unless you're using C++/CLI. Although the STL and Boost give you options, the functionality is already implemented in the .NET Framework.

Quote:Original post by song6295
c# like vb
Again, this is due to the tools available. If you're talking about VB.NET, both C# and VB.NET are linked with the .NET Framework, meaning that you're given a huge amount of opportunity in terms of what you can easily do with both languages. VB6 and VB.NET are almost completely different and that difference should be noted. C# and VB.NET are completely different languages.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
The big thing in programming isn't the language you know, but the concepts introduced behind it.

Agreed. The programming language is merely a tool which you use to implement your design.

As for C# being like VB... I'd say the most accurate description would be a mix of C++ and Java.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Start with Assembly Language, it's amazing how quickly you can jump into the higher level concepts / visualisation with a fundamental understanding of the low level architecture.

My two cents :)
Quote:Original post by PiCkLeD
Start with Assembly Language

I actually tried this, and I don't really regret it. Of course, that being my first venture into programming, and working with computers in general, I didn't really learn a whole lot, but it made C seem like a walk in te park ;)

Still, I wouldn't recommened it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement