Sign in to follow this  
sukoy

Format PLY -property confidence

Hi everyone and sorry for my english. I try to write a PLY viewer but this format isn't standard and the work is hard. I have a property on vertex,it's name is confidence.I have try to find what it mean by google,but i don't understand how use it for correct visualization. i only know that it's a prepocessing data like intensity for color. thanke you for all Gennaro byezzz

PLY comes from scientific background. As such, the confidence refers to how reliable a point is, for example if obtained via some sampling. If you get a point via GPS, you can only assume the real position, and you add 75% confidence level.

This is, as you mentioned, just a preprocessing directive, which can help you filter out data that is deemed unreliable.

Here's one explanation:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/prc/section1/prc14.htm

Thanke for the link,i understand what mean confidence interval and i undarstand that it refear to the real position of a vertex in the space and how it's position is reiable,but i dont know what it help me to render better mesh than now.

Thanke you

Gennaro

It doesn't help you rendering a better mesh. You could however use it when optimizing a mesh, or calculating LOD levels: In that case, you might want to stick to reliable points to prevent noise.