wireless problem - belkin f5d7000 connection keeps dropping out

Started by
3 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years ago
I've had this card for a couple of weeks now & have had constant issues with it, including freezing the computer & not being able to access the card resources in device manager or being able to repair the connection. To start with I was using the belkin tool to connect to the network (which works fine for everyone else in the house, some are using the same card as me too) - usually I could use the net but every half hour or so it would lose the connection , not really a major issue but I discovered their app is the source of the freezing issue, so it had to go. I've tried updating the drivers from belkin's site but they don't appear to recognise the card.. So now I'm using xp's wireless networking & it's connecting for about 5 minutes and then dropping out - clicking repair sorts it out but it's becoming a never-ending battle. Help! x86 XP sp 2 belkin card info: retail boxed h/w ver 2.2.7.0 s/w ver 1.0.0.6 chipset RT2650 I did google before posting but found a single page of solutions that didn't work.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Advertisement
I have the 7001 but the same problem I had might apply...

The cd that came in the box had very old drivers so the first thing I did was get the lastest ones from belkin.com/uk (before upgrading, the drivers actually consumed 100% cpu). This was all I had to do to get a solid/reliable connection and I do use the belkin wireless utility to handle the connecting etc.

I also remember reading somewhere, to get a better connection on wireless networks, to have your antennae at vertical right angles to each other (not sure why it helps but it did actually improve my signal strength [wink])

ascii diagram of how I position the antennae on my router [grin]
   __________  |          |_______  |__________|    -     -

not...
               |               |   __________  |  |          |_|  |__________|    -     -

...yea ok I just wanted to do some acsii drawings cause i'm bored [lol]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
yeah, that's the thing - the signal strength is usually between 90-100% when the connection is actually working. As for the drivers, I had a look there and tried the ones for _v5 (didn't detect the card) and _v2 (didn't work but looked to be the most likely contender as the hardware version is 2. I've decided their driver labelling system is total bollocks & can't for the life of me figure out where the ones I need are hidden)

nice diagrams btw :)

edit: mine's
                  /                 /   __________   /  |          |_/  |__________|    -     -

[Edited by - DrewGreen on April 23, 2006 1:05:57 PM]
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
If you have DSL, did you remember to install the phone adapters?
I made that mistake once...
--------
Whoisdoingthis.com - my stupid website about warning labels.
It's cable, admittedly ntl has a habit of having dodgy connections (mini rant: because it's done on the cheap) but I have the problem when it's working for everyone else, workgroup access is also unavailable. I've just moved here but it's been working fine for the last 2 years so I doubt the network/line is the problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement