Sign in to follow this  
Chip Holder

what book

Chip Holder    138
I bought one of the books that was recommended by this website for beginners in programming (c++ primer by Stanley B. Lippman). But this book seems like it assumes that you already know things about programming and my friend and I don't know ANYTHING. Can anybody recommend the book that they first started with that REALLY REALLY helped them to learn programming? Chip Holder

nullsmind    100
C++: The Complete Reference edition 4 was the best book I could ever ask for. It just expects you to make a simple hello world program before you read, which any tutorial on the web can quickly show you how. It's a tutorial book and a great reference. I wouldn't skip it.

Amazon

TomX    264
I'm using Accelerated C++ and it seems a good point so far.

I like its method of teaching, rather than just teaching concepts/syntax it proposes something to program (such as a greeting with a border around it printed to the console, or a student grade calculator) and teaches the relevant concepts/syntax.

It's a highly recommended book (not just on GameDev's books page, but also around the net) which is why I bought it.

You *could* try Beginning Programming for Dummies which teachers from the bottom but I believe Accelerated C++ would be sufficient.

vrok137    241
C++ Without Fear - By Brian Overland

This is a very easy to understand book. Works like a charm. The only thing it does not teach you though is the Standard Template Library, But you can read more on that through online tutorials.

Dave FF    139
Quote:
Original post by vrok137
C++ Without Fear - By Brian Overland

This is a very easy to understand book. Works like a charm. The only thing it does not teach you though is the Standard Template Library, But you can read more on that through online tutorials.

I just want to second vrok's choice of "C++ Without Fear." I've got Overland's book myself and am finding it easy to understand and follow along with. I'm a programming beginner myself, and I appreciate Overland's desire to achieve clarity for the unexperienced programmer. Overland takes his time to spell out how the C++ language works, and his examples, explanation, and code are clearly laid out. Overland doesn't cover everything about C++, but he gives an excellent introduction to the language for the non-programmer. The concepts not covered can be studied in other, more detailed or advanced books later.

Dave FF

Sria    157
I am brand new to programming and I thought Beggining C++ Game programming by Michael Dawson I think it is, is a great book. I got good reviews on the site too.