what book

Started by
6 comments, last by Chip Holder 17 years, 12 months ago
I bought one of the books that was recommended by this website for beginners in programming (c++ primer by Stanley B. Lippman). But this book seems like it assumes that you already know things about programming and my friend and I don't know ANYTHING. Can anybody recommend the book that they first started with that REALLY REALLY helped them to learn programming? Chip Holder
AjM&*SoG
Advertisement
C++: The Complete Reference edition 4 was the best book I could ever ask for. It just expects you to make a simple hello world program before you read, which any tutorial on the web can quickly show you how. It's a tutorial book and a great reference. I wouldn't skip it.

Amazon
I'm using Accelerated C++ and it seems a good point so far.

I like its method of teaching, rather than just teaching concepts/syntax it proposes something to program (such as a greeting with a border around it printed to the console, or a student grade calculator) and teaches the relevant concepts/syntax.

It's a highly recommended book (not just on GameDev's books page, but also around the net) which is why I bought it.

You *could* try Beginning Programming for Dummies which teachers from the bottom but I believe Accelerated C++ would be sufficient.
You might want to try some of these free eBooks, while I can't vouch for them (besides Thinking in C++) you might be able to find something that help you get started.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

C++ Without Fear - By Brian Overland

This is a very easy to understand book. Works like a charm. The only thing it does not teach you though is the Standard Template Library, But you can read more on that through online tutorials.
Quote:Original post by vrok137
C++ Without Fear - By Brian Overland

This is a very easy to understand book. Works like a charm. The only thing it does not teach you though is the Standard Template Library, But you can read more on that through online tutorials.

I just want to second vrok's choice of "C++ Without Fear." I've got Overland's book myself and am finding it easy to understand and follow along with. I'm a programming beginner myself, and I appreciate Overland's desire to achieve clarity for the unexperienced programmer. Overland takes his time to spell out how the C++ language works, and his examples, explanation, and code are clearly laid out. Overland doesn't cover everything about C++, but he gives an excellent introduction to the language for the non-programmer. The concepts not covered can be studied in other, more detailed or advanced books later.

Dave FF
I am brand new to programming and I thought Beggining C++ Game programming by Michael Dawson I think it is, is a great book. I got good reviews on the site too.
cool thanks guys
AjM&*SoG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement