texture artist

Started by
4 comments, last by r3dron3 17 years, 12 months ago
i have some questions about being a texture artist 1) do you need to be able to draw? 2) do you need to be able to do advance math (algebra)? 3) what classes would you need to take? 4) and what do u need to use other than photo shop i have been looking into a career in the gaming industry for a while now (im 17). and i think that i would be a good texture artist. But i know very little about what skills you would need to be one. if u need to draw or use algebra i dont think i could do it... But when it comes to PS i have what seems (to me) some talent. Thats why i think i could do textures... im sorry if this post seems..confusing typing isnt a strong point for me as you can see :-)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by r3dron3
i have some questions about being a texture artist
1) do you need to be able to draw?
It helps immensely. I'd imagine there's some stuff you can do without it, and it may be sufficient to be able to work from drawings given to by somebody else, but you may still find yourself being asked to do a texture for something and needing to create your own shapes and patterns on it. Fortunately, it's something that you tend to get better at with time.

Quote:
2) do you need to be able to do advance math (algebra)?
No.

Quote:
3) what classes would you need to take?
Art. Photography would also probably help, because a texture artist will often obtain textures by going out into the world with a camera - particularly for natural textures like stone or grass.

Quote:
4) and what do u need to use other than photo shop
It's probably useful to be able to use a 3D modelling program like 3DS Max or Maya, so that you can work with applying your textures to models.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

thanks for your help as to drawing i meant like hard stuff...like people and animals. and i have had SOME practice with 3d programs (3ds and milkshape).
from what you have said it look like i could do this :) thank you very much
Coincidentally, I'm finally reading the book, Digital Texturing and Painting, and it's been very good. You might want to check it out, as it answers all of the questions you posed, and then some. (you can find used copies for ~$25 if you look around). It also comes with the [requisite] CD-ROM with tutorials, etc.

Here's the description from @mazon:

This book takes you outside the studio and walks you through the museum of life. This full color book combines traditional texture creation principles with digital texturing techniques to enhance your scenes and animations. In the first half of the book, you will learn about the history of textures in fine art and in the second half, how to apply these principles to your 2D and 3D digital scenes.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
AB HarrisEngineer, RG Studios
Thanks! i will look into that book :-)
Oops lol forgot to sign in.....yeah thats me^^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement