Sign in to follow this  
Faded-Maximus

C++ books

Faded-Maximus    122
Hey, I am looking at buying some books to help me along. I want to get into game programming and I know C++, however I am not the smartest person. I am still learning. I am looking at getting these two books: 1. Beginning C++ Game Programming 2. Game Programming In C++: Start to Finish I have read several reviews on both books, and they both seem to be decent. I thought that the first one might be a bit too easy since it is aimed for programmers with no experience. I decided to get it though because a good review never hurts. I was wondering what you people thought about this idea and if you could give me some advice. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hilbily001    122
I also read through Beginning C++ game programming. It was an excellent book for getting used to C++ and how to apply some of it to gaming. The main downfall of the book was the shear and utter boredom! It took everything I had to get through it.

The next book I got was Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. It is quite outdated and I didnt finish it, since I didnt see the need (at the time anyways) to use DirectDraw, an outdated and obsolete DX function. But I still use the book almost everyday for structure reference, how to's and code definition. If Lamothe would update the book to DX9, it would prob be the most valuable book in the collection, but that can be due to my lack of experience. hehehehe.

Good Luck!!