Sign in to follow this  
Samurai Jack

DirectInput - Action Mapping? Samples removed?

Greetings! I was wondering why did Micro$oft remove the action mapping samples for DirectInput. I seem to recall there were some samples for it in earlier versions of DirectX SDK. What is it all about? It should (or it is?) an interface where you can define some kind of input maps, which means, you can use the same map just by defining the input devices: Keyboard map: Up (keyboard_W) Down (keybaord_S) Left (keyboard_A) Right (keyboard_D) Joypad map: Up (joypad::Digital Y-) Down (joypad::Digital Y+) Left (joypad::Digital X-) Right (joypad::Digital X+) And then in your game, you just assign a map to your character and you can query like this: if (pInputMab->isLeft()) then move left etc... It does not matter if its a keyboard or joypad. This is done automaticaly via pre-assigned values like above. Any suggestions? Is there a more practical way to use some kind of mapping?

Quote:
Original post by Samurai Jack
I was wondering why did Micro$oft remove the action mapping samples for DirectInput. I seem to recall there were some samples for it in earlier versions of DirectX SDK. What is it all about?

That's easy - it was taken out because it sucked and like 2 people used it. If you want it back, just get one of the older SDKs from here. It is actually quite easy to make your own. If you have a scripting system in place, you can just bind a script string to a key or mouse press. Otherwise, you can just use function pointers.