• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
inbgche

[OpenGL] Render using buffer.

This topic is 4442 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any method that I save current frame buffer and render the buffer instead of full 3D scene in OpenGL. Because my scene do not change and it do not need any update, so I think if I can save my current frame buffer, and render using the buffer by just 2D rendering, performance will rise up dramatically. But, I didn't find the way. I read some function's decriptions, glCopyPixels(), glDrawPixels(). Unfortunately I didn't catch how can I make it using that functions. Any comments please...

Advertisement
GLint index;
glGenTextures (1, &index);
glBindTexture (GL_TEXTURE_2D, index);
glCopyTexImage2D (GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 0, 0, winW, winH, 0);

Now index is a texture that contains your scene (provided that the scene is a power-of-two thing, otherwise you'll have to mess around a bit to do it).

But, if your scene isn't changing, why re-display it? Only re-render when something has changed in your scene. :)

glGenRenderbuffersEXT can be used to create a specialized offscreen render buffer. I use this for the same purpose you do.

Here is a list of the related functions:
glBindFramebufferEXT;
glDeleteFramebuffersEXT;
glGenFramebuffersEXT;
glFramebufferTexture2DEXT;
glBindRenderbufferEXT;
glDeleteRenderbuffersEXT;
glGenRenderbuffersEXT;
glRenderbufferStorageEXT;
glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT;

The reason to redisplay the 2D buffer is so that any areas of the screen which may have been drawn over by the OS can be refreshed in a non-OS-specific way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!