Annonymous Posting - Why have it?

Started by
40 comments, last by programwizard 17 years, 11 months ago
I don't really think there is a need for the ability for users to post annonymously. The privlidge is abused far more than it is used for good; people use anonymity as an excuse to post flaimbait and generally act like idiots, without the fear of their ratings being lowered. Look through some recent threads where there have been AP's to see what I mean. If people are too lazy to register for an account, then they are also probably too lazy to actually post a message. I think Annonymous Posting should be abolished, or at least a way should be worked out for AP's to have ratings like everyone else (perhaps by IP address?).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
agreed.

Quote:... a way should be worked out for AP's to have ratings like everyone else (perhaps by IP address?)
Good idea, i.m.o. , a A.P. rating.
A significant number of industry professionals use anonymous accounts here, for the sake of anonymity or to avoid going against company policy. If you see AP posts which are out of line, just flag them.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
I think Annonymous Posting should be abolished, or at least a way should be worked out for AP's to have ratings like everyone else (perhaps by IP address?).

I disagree. At first I didn't want to sign up on gamedev as I didn't want my name and location given to anyone, even mods or staff.(I used to have an irrational fear on computer security) It's not a matter of laziness. People come here all the time looking for help, seems a same to turn them away just because they don't want to give out their info, or don't want their email address on a spam list.

We should, however, have a system to stop silent posting of registered users, but this would be hard if they use a school computer and now no other students from that school can get help without signing in an unknown account.

I simply think we should limit Anom posting to the 'for begginers' and maybe a few other forums.
APing is already disabled in the Lounge, at least.

Personally I don't see a problem with it. Sure there are a couple abusers, but AP posts are IP logged, so if disciplinary action is needed the appropriate member(s) can be punished. Having an active system is just asking to be evaded (via one of several methods, primarily proxying), and alerts people to the fact that, omg, AP's can actually be tracked.

That said, I haven't seen any really bad AP's recently. Sure there are a couple of flames now and then, but meh.
Only an idiot would want to abolish annonymous posting.....

X-D

I don't disagree with that. If someone wants some form of annonymity, they should be forced to at least create a new account.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I don't disagree with that. If someone wants some form of annonymity, they should be forced to at least create a new account.

Just to show I'm not really a coward ;-)
Aren't duplicate accounts suspended/banned?
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
If you see AP posts which are out of line, just flag them.

That's really only fixing the problem, not preventing it. Having to see the posts before they are dealt with is a very minor annoyance, but it's personified by the fact that no good actually comes out of the system.

And I'm not sure about the "industry professionals" part. If the AP isn't flaimbait, then it's offtopic/incorrect information (in general; maybe I'm just seeing the wrong AP's).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
And I'm not sure about the "industry professionals" part. If the AP isn't flaimbait, then it's offtopic/incorrect information (in general; maybe I'm just seeing the wrong AP's).

Nah, there are plenty of "good" anonymous posts. There are also quite a few in the new article discussions, which aren't even attached to the forum (though they are techically integrated and use the same software).

Quote:Original post by rip-off
Aren't duplicate accounts suspended/banned?

Yes, and the original account is reprimanded with a warning level increase (or worse, depending on the user's history).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement