Easier forum smilies in messages

Started by
27 comments, last by coderx75 17 years, 11 months ago
This could always be done (possibly very easily) via a userscript (Opera/Firefox).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Advertisement
Since it requires JS anyway why not make it a hidden div that pops up when you mouse over it (or onclick) and dissapears when you mouse out. Then the full menu would be there for everyone but it would be out of the way and you'll keep a (mostly) clean interface.
I would prefer it on the left or right side if possible [smile]
while you're at it, could you get the image smileys on their too?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by MrEvil
[caution]seems like it may be a bit annoying if it appended to the post rather than inserting at the current position...

I was thinking the same but couldn't immediately find any info on cursor position. In other forums I checked, the code is appended.

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Maybe if you can work on the layout a bit it'd be perfect. Possibly move it to columns down the left-hand side, and possibly group the larger icons ([google][imwithstupid][repost]) in a seperate column/row so that they don't unnecessarily inflate the table?

Left position sounds great. I'll give that a try.

Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Since it requires JS anyway why not make it a hidden div that pops up when you mouse over it (or onclick) and dissapears when you mouse out. Then the full menu would be there for everyone but it would be out of the way and you'll keep a (mostly) clean interface.

That WOULD be cool. I'm going with jollyjeffer's idea for now. If I have some time tonight at home, I'll try tinkering around with the pop-up (similar to gamespy forums). Ultimately, we should be using a pop-up so that if smilies are added later it doesn't affect the page layout.

Anyway, back to work. I'll post a follow-up in a bit.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Well in the case of more smilies being added or there being too many smilies to fit the page well. how about making paged tabs?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Well in the case of more smilies being added or there being too many smilies to fit the page well. how about making paged tabs?

Paged tabs?

New version with smilies on the left
I'm liking that version more. Ideally I'd have them on the right, but as I said, there's a problem with low horizontal resolutions.

The other major aspect to consider, then, is this: if we make the smilies very in-your-face and easy to use, will people fill posts with them? Will it be common to start seeing posts in the For Beginners forum with "my progam is broken!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]"?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
I'm liking that version more. Ideally I'd have them on the right, but as I said, there's a problem with low horizontal resolutions.

The other major aspect to consider, then, is this: if we make the smilies very in-your-face and easy to use, will people fill posts with them? Will it be common to start seeing posts in the For Beginners forum with "my progam is broken!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]"?

*Ponders the future of the Lounge and destroys code for the sake of humanity* [grin]
Quote:will people fill posts with them?

[attention][bawling][caution][cool][crying][dead][depressed][disturbed][embarrass][evil][flaming][wink][grin][headshake][help][ignore][wow][inlove][lol][looksaround][oh][pig][razz][rolleyes][totally][sad][sick][smile][tears]
[bawling][caution][cool][crying][dead][depressed][disturbed][embarrass][evil][flaming][wink][grin][headshake][help][ignore][wow][inlove][lol][looksaround][oh][pig][razz][rolleyes][totally][sad][sick][smile][tears][attention]
[caution][cool][crying][dead][depressed][disturbed][embarrass][evil][flaming][wink][grin][headshake][help][ignore][wow][inlove][lol][looksaround][oh][pig][razz][rolleyes][totally][sad][sick][smile][tears][attention][bawling]
[cool][crying][dead][depressed][disturbed][embarrass][evil][flaming][wink][grin][headshake][help][ignore][wow][inlove][lol][looksaround][oh][pig][razz][rolleyes][totally][sad][sick][smile][tears][attention][bawling][caution]
[crying][dead][depressed][disturbed][embarrass][evil][flaming][wink][grin][headshake][help][ignore][wow][inlove][lol][looksaround][oh][pig][razz][rolleyes][totally][sad][sick][smile][tears][attention][bawling][caution][cool]
[dead][depressed][disturbed][embarrass][evil][flaming][wink][grin][headshake][help][ignore][wow][inlove][lol][looksaround][oh][pig][razz][rolleyes][totally][sad][sick][smile][tears][attention][bawling][caution][cool][crying]
[depressed][disturbed][embarrass][evil][flaming][wink][grin][headshake][help][ignore][wow][inlove][lol][looksaround][oh][pig][razz][rolleyes][totally][sad][sick][smile][tears][attention][bawling][caution][cool][crying][dead]

?

(sorry, couldn't resist such an awesome idea)
Quote:Original post by superpig

The 'reply' box really should be variable-width depending on the browser resolution. Probably some kind of expand-to-maximum behaviour with the smilies on the side. I'm slightly fed up of typing in a postage stamp sized box on my 1600x1200 screen.

It'd cut
down on
the number
of people
who make
posts like
this too,
where they
keep manually
inserting
a line break
when they