• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
coderx75

Easier forum smilies in messages

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Mushu
(sorry, couldn't resist such an awesome idea)

Look at it this way, chicks like posting cutesy messages. Maybe this will attract more female users. =b

Quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
The 'reply' box really should be variable-width depending on the browser resolution. Probably some kind of expand-to-maximum behaviour with the smilies on the side. I'm slightly fed up of typing in a postage stamp sized box on my 1600x1200 screen.

Dunno if it'd be accepted, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea, really.

Quote:
Original post by superpig
The other major aspect to consider, then, is this: if we make the smilies very in-your-face and easy to use, will people fill posts with them? Will it be common to start seeing posts in the For Beginners forum with "my progam is broken!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]"?
Not sure its a solution as such, but I've seen some forums link membership/experience with the number of smilies you can use. For example, AP's can use at most 3, regulars can use up to 10, GDNet+ can have 20...

Jack

Quote:
Original post by coderx75
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Well in the case of more smilies being added or there being too many smilies to fit the page well. how about making paged tabs?

Paged tabs?

New version with smilies on the left

Those are kinda distracting though, possibly more than before (possibly due to their proximity, it just resembles a big animated mess); I think I would prefer that provided it used static versions of the smilies.

I say go with the version that has the smilies over on the left, except put them in a DHTML "flyout tray" that is hidden by default - just a little [ Smilies V ] looking thing so that it's obvious that one can click it to get a menu of icons.

Should be a reasonable compromise between layout space, accessibility, and not being distracting (I agree that having all of them out in front is hard on the eyes. Heck, I think the Post Icon box is already a pretty bad eyesore, but at least I'm used to it.)

Quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
Quote:
will people fill posts with them?

It'd been done [grin]

Hey, our forum software motivated you go and write a program to do it. I'd call that a win. [grin]

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:
The other major aspect to consider, then, is this: if we make the smilies very in-your-face and easy to use, will people fill posts with them? Will it be common to start seeing posts in the For Beginners forum with "my progam is broken!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]"?
Not sure its a solution as such, but I've seen some forums link membership/experience with the number of smilies you can use. For example, AP's can use at most 3, regulars can use up to 10, GDNet+ can have 20...

Hmm... not sure about that. I think it wouldn't solve the original problem.

For FF, a javascript function like that shouldn't cause the textarea to scroll to top on each insert.. particularly if there is a lot of text. (fixing it isn't all that difficult though)

It perhaps could be done with a dropdown of some sort.. maybe. But I'm not chomping at the bit to see us make improvements in the accessibility of emoticons. This forum is to discuss game development issues mainly, and most programmers are trained to feel no emotion. Thus, the need to express emotions through symbolic means would be illogical.

---
Michael Tanczos

Quote:
Original post by Michael Tanczos
For FF, a javascript function like that shouldn't cause the textarea to scroll to top on each insert.. particularly if there is a lot of text. (fixing it isn't all that difficult though)

It perhaps could be done with a dropdown of some sort.. maybe. But I'm not chomping at the bit to see us make improvements in the accessibility of emoticons. This forum is to discuss game development issues mainly, and most programmers are trained to feel no emotion. Thus, the need to express emotions through symbolic means would be illogical.

---
Michael Tanczos

Your opinion is wrong. Thanks for playing [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by Michael Tanczos

---
Michael Tanczos

Your opinion is wrong. Thanks for playing [grin]

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. [evil]

I don't see the textarea scrolling issue. Anyone else having this problem?

Michael:
I understand that emoticons aren't a major concern, but it is a bit of an annoyance to the user. They're frequently used, there's quite a few of them and we've all got better things to do than memorize emoticons. I had to look up [evil] just now because I didn't know what it was offhand. Although this forum is for discussing game development issues, as you said, such issues go well beyond that of programmers. All those flaky artists and musicians love expressing those... emotion thingies. =b

I have to agree that the animations on the screen are a distraction. If this is actually going to be used, I'd be glad to place it in a pop-up div.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!