Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BringBackFuturama

Secondary Language:VB or Java?

This topic is 4651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After I'm done learning C++, I am going to take classes in another language. My school has Visual Basic and Java...and maybe others I haven't looked into. I realize that Visual Basic is a very GUI-oriented langauge, but what about Java? I don't know much about it besides that it's very common for web development. Which one would be more useful as a langauge? And what about stuff like C#, javascript, Actionscript and such. These all seem interesting. I'm just a bit confused on where to go next.

Advertisement
I would sugggest C#. You get some of the rapid development that you get with VB but it has more depth, also it would feel a lot more like what you are used to.

theTroll

Quote:
Original post by TheTroll
I would sugggest C#. You get some of the rapid development that you get with VB but it has more depth, also it would feel a lot more like what you are used to.

theTroll

I second C# too. Java is kind of wierd when it gets into GUI/SWING/AWT/whatever. I never understood that part of Java, especially the 6+ different type of layouts. Visual Basic is good, but I would reccommend C# to the top.

If you are comfortable with C++, Java and C# should not be difficult to pick up due to the similarities in syntax.

Visual Basic is something different (some will say it's bad, but it's just different, and different is not a bad thing), the syntax is more english-like. Sure it has drag-and-drop features for forms and such, but you still have to write code to handle control events and the like.

Perl has a similar syntax to the C-type languages, but is also different in a number of ways. It's tricky, but if you understand it well enough it can be very powerful.

javascript is intended for use on the web, and is similar to C++ also, so it is not difficult to learn.

The bottom line is, in my opinion, no one language is "the best". They are all different, though some may share similarities. The language to use depends on the situation. If you want to do a Windows application, look at VB or C#. If you're looking for web-based, or platform-independant, languages, there's Perl and Java. If you want raw power for applications such as games, use C++.

Draw one from a hat and learn it. Do a project with it. Then learn another. Once you understand a few programming languages, learning more languages becomes easier, as the concepts are all the same. Only the syntax (and object names) is different.

I think, when people are referring to VB they now refer to VB.NET, unless you are one of those poor souls forced to maintain a legacy Visual Basic 6 (or earlier) application. If you happen to prefer Visual Basic's syntax, you can learn VB.NET instead of C#, they are almost completely functionally equivilant. But if you haven't invested time learning an earlier VB (or if you did, and hate it) you might as well learn C#.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I recommend Java. There are lots of advantages over C# and VB:

- It works on operating systems other than Windows (100%);
- It's present on lots of spaces, mainly, but not limited to, Enterprise computing, mobile devices and desktop;
- It's part of Java's culture the community to participate a lot, so we have more open source frameworks and libraries than .Net;
- It keeps compatibility between versions, unlike Microsoft;
- Great development environments such as Eclipse, that in my opinion beats Visual Studio when configured with the appropriate plug-ins. Or Netbeans, IntelliJ. In this area Java is very rich;

Go Java.

Quote:
Original post by BringBackFuturama
After I'm done learning C++...

*chuckle*

Anyways, C# is a good choice after you stop learning C++.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

True.
Quote:
- It's present on lots of spaces, mainly, but not limited to, Enterprise computing, mobile devices and desktop;

True.
Quote:
- It's part of Java's culture the community to participate a lot, so we have more open source frameworks and libraries than .Net;

That's not a plus or minus... that's a "feature".
Quote:
- It keeps compatibility between versions, unlike Microsoft;

That's the greatest flaw of Java in my opinion. I'd wish they'd structure the libraries to be more intuitive and not have them so unwieldly.
Quote:
- Great development environments such as Eclipse, that in my opinion beats Visual Studio when configured with the appropriate plug-ins. Or Netbeans, IntelliJ. In this area Java is very rich;

Really, VS works just fine. Very intuitive, helpful and makes coding time faster. It's nice that you can use 4 or 5 different IDEs for Java, but I'd rather one that works well. I've used Dev-C++ and Visual C++ Express. I can say that I rarely ever use Dev-C++ anymore.

Quote:
Go Java.

...Yeah programming languages and intuitive libraries and IDEs [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

HaHaHa,

Oh wait, were you serious??

Just try porting a java program to another OS. You'll find your self cursing incompatable jvm's, oh and OS X's jvm for 1.4 broke drag and drop so you patched that and then they fixed it in 1.5 so your patch broke that and then linux is 2 versions behind so you have to rewrite all that gui code you wrote on windows.

Yep java is 100% compatable.... oh wait, maybe its not:(

Just some of the real world problems we've run into using java.

Cheers
Chris

This topic is 4651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.