Secondary Language:VB or Java?

Started by
27 comments, last by Washu 17 years, 11 months ago
I think you should choose Visaul Basic, No matter VB6 or VB.NET you can choose between that two. The reason that you know C++ which have similar syntax to Java, C#. So you should learn BASIC syntax.
DinGY
Yesterday is history.Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift"
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by invisal
I think you should choose Visaul Basic, No matter VB6 or VB.NET you can choose between that two. The reason that you know C++ which have similar syntax to Java, C#. So you should learn BASIC syntax.

No... God.. No.

VB.NET is a good language, but is pretty much a skinned C#. Look at the code for both and take your pick.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
I would say that you're next language should be java or c#: wich one of the two? well, I used for a few projects Java, but only tried C#: I must say that I like more C# as a language and as a library (shorter and simpler both to understand and to remember). In addition C# has some nice features that can be useful here and there.
What I don't like about Java is its convoluted Swing paradigm that requires me to start every time from scratch studing GUI programming, but since platform independent GUI programming is one of the major C/C++ flaws, then I think that it could worth learning java. As already mentioned, java is also used on different devices (not only pc), and this can be a plus.
In short, pick a language of these (why not both? they are similar enough), try it and then decide.
Quote:Original post by justo
Quote:Original post by chollida1
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I recommend Java. There are lots of advantages over C# and VB:

- It works on operating systems other than Windows (100%);

HaHaHa,

Oh wait, were you serious??

Just try porting a java program to another OS. You'll find your self cursing incompatable jvm's, oh and OS X's jvm for 1.4 broke drag and drop so you patched that and then they fixed it in 1.5 so your patch broke that and then linux is 2 versions behind so you have to rewrite all that gui code you wrote on windows.

Yep java is 100% compatable.... oh wait, maybe its not:(

Just some of the real world problems we've run into using java.

Cheers
Chris

i'm not going to enter into this, cause if youre "done" with c++, java and c# are simple to pick up, but this is silly. i regularly develop on my dual boot linux/windows machine with my eclipse workspace shared on an external drive with *no* problems. i also pass things off to a coworker that develops soley on a mac with *no* problem. not only that, i do it with a jni linked library (lwjgl) which has a different lib for each platform. and it still works. shocking.

obviously swing is sometimes more problematic, but if drag and drop and legacy code is your worst problems, i'll give you maybe .5%.

Look I understand it can be hard when someone points out the faults of the language you like, I'm very protective of lisp but this is a quote from James Gosling:

"James Gosling recently said: "The perfect goal of "write once, run anywhere, anything runs on anything" is just goofy. You're never going to run some piece of weather modeling software on a toaster (laughs). And you wouldn't want to. So there are some scale and capability limits. But within that, you can do an awful lot to make sure that if somebody wants to read a file, it looks the same everywhere reading a file makes sense.""

cited from http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=43736

My whole point is that write once run anywhere doesn't always work, and I've got people telling me that it absolutely does.

So I'm going to call scoreboard on this one, unless someone thinks they know more about Java than its inventor.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
No. There MIGHT, just MIGHT be more Open Source software for Java, but that might be because Java is older. That's like saying there's more Open Source software in C than there is in Java. Duh.

No, the culture of MS developers and Java developers is different. Take a look at the quantity and diversity of web frameworks alone in Java!

Diversity is important for evolution and Java has lots of vendors and open source developers that create new software everyday.

In the other hand, in .Net it's you and Microsoft.

Quote:
Funny, I run .NET 1.0 and .NET 2.0 applications concurrently just fine...

Funny, that's not what I said.

Quote:
They're pretty much toe-to-toe right now. And .NET is still growing, meanwhile, Java is shrinking...

In what planet? The only people I know that migrated to .Net did it because they were all "Microsoft" before that, migrating from VB6.

Quote:Why do they HAVE to upgrade again ? That's like saying: "I hate Java because they introduced generics and I don't use them in my old code." Well duh, use them in your new code ?

Huh? What?

They will need to do it sooner or later, for a variety of reasons that may range from drop of support in older versions, new funcionalities, new tools and libraries that require new versions, new systems that need to be integrated...

So basically what your saying is that a major rewrite of the application is ok? Probably it is because the developers hours are not being paid with YOUR money.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
...lots of bullshit...
Sounds like you're a java developer who doesn't know anything about .NET.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I just love my language is better then your language threads. Each langauage has it's place, depending on the situation one is better then the other. A language is a tool to get thing done not a lifestyle. I think you all need to stop talking about which on is best and start doing all your work is ASM, that would teach ya.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by chollida1
My whole point is that write once run anywhere doesn't always work, and I've got people telling me that it absolutely does.

So I'm going to call scoreboard on this one, unless someone thinks they know more about Java than its inventor.

Ok, taking the quote out of any context, you can reach that conclusion. Do you know what he was talking about at all? He was talking about running Java in cellphones! Mainly because of the great differences between models in terms of hardware.

If you don't like Java I couldn't care less, but please don't troll and expect people like me to stay silent, what you said so far is complete nonsense. I know because I work with it everyday and other people in here do as well.
well this thread sure went to hell fast.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement