Started by
72 comments, last by MadDog72 17 years, 11 months ago
C
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Tac-Tics
Quote:Original post by JohnBSmall
Start Here.
Python.

Agreed. Learn programming first. Games are impossibly difficult to write if you don't know how to code. If you know C++ in and out, games are then slightly easier than impossible. But if you don't know a thing about programming, you can't make a game yourself.

[advocate]Game Maker will allow the user to create his game with basic steps, basically drag and drop. as the user moves into more concise or advanced game making the user will be introduced to coding through the scripting language.[/advocate]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Start with c++. I learned it before looking back at C. Getting a C book or C++ book, you will learn them both in a way. As stated c++ is a newer c. Dont learn gamemaker, its for posers. Read up on c++ and then learn a 2d api, and after a year you should be able to make some pretty cool stuff.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Quote:Original post by kingsrookie
Open GL is an api used to create the graphics for the game and is the linux distro version to microsoft's directx.

Nota bene: Pretty much all of that is wrong.
Quote:Original post by dpadam450
Start with c++. I learned it before looking back at C. Getting a C book or C++ book, you will learn them both in a way. As stated c++ is a newer c. Dont learn gamemaker, its for posers. Read up on c++ and then learn a 2d api, and after a year you should be able to make some pretty cool stuff.

or you can make some pretty cool games in less than 3 months...... shall i remind you this a game development site not a "hey look my digital programming wang causes me to post more than yuo! site. Game Maker is fine if he wants to make games. In the meanwhile, he'll being introduced to the basics of programming through the scripting language. If he wants to learn how to program AND make games then the OP should look into the links provided by JohnB.

If you know C++ in and out, games are then slightly easier than impossible. But if you don't know a thing about programming, you can't make a game yourself.

How can you know C++ in and out, and not know about programming?

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Games are impossibly difficult to write if you don't know how to code.

That's just plain wrong.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I second the python post. If you don't much/any experience in programming, it can be a relatively easy way to ease into it. Here is an article to give you an idea of what will be involved. After you become more comfortable to the world of programming then moving onto C or C++ becomes a much more easier transition.

Of course if you want to learn C/C++, there is nothing stopping you but don't expect results overnight.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
If you know C++ in and out, games are then slightly easier than impossible. But if you don't know a thing about programming, you can't make a game yourself.

How can you know C++ in and out, and not know about programming?

I was using C++ and programming synonymously. What good would my comment be if it didn't try to confuse? =-P

Drag and drop game making is neat and I'm sure you can make a fantastic game, but general programming skills -- while requiring a lot more time and energy -- will probably pay off much more down the line.

To paraphrase the proverb: Teach a man a gamemaker and he will make games for a day. Teach a man to program, and he will make games for life (and probably other great applications as well).
To paraphrase the proverb: Teach a man a gamemaker and he will make games for a day. Teach a man to program, and he will make games for life (and probably other great applications as well).

You misphrase: Let a n00b, who a game designer, post asking for a programer, graphics artist, and a musician to make a game and he will make games for a day (if he's lucky). Give a man the tools to make a game and he will make games for life. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement