Gamemaker or C?

Started by
72 comments, last by MadDog72 17 years, 11 months ago
Open GL is an api used to create the graphics for the game and is the linux distro version to microsoft's directx.

Opengl is used for more than just linux games; it's also used by Windows, MacOSX, and a handful of other Operating systems, as well as the Playstation 3.

OpenGL doesn't create graphics for games.

no, but it does render them.
Advertisement
Definitely Python.

You don't have to learn one language and stick with it forever. There is also no "one language" for game programming. You can always learn C or C++ later on, and the skills you learn from Python will definitely apply there as well.

Python is much easier for a beginner to pick up than C/C++, and will teach you much more about programming an actual game (as opposed to setup code and other stupid things necessary in C and C++).

Finally, Python isn't just some "beginner language" that you're going to use as a stepping stone to other languages. Python is a real programming language used in the games industry and elsewhere, and is indispensible for writing utilities and other scripts you'll use later on. I use it a lot.

I would strongly suggest against starting with C or C++.
Ra
Quote:Original post by Ra
I would strongly suggest against starting with C or C++.

Seconded. It's popular, but C++ simply isn't the best language out there. It's basically just a set of OOP hacks on top of C. The only reasons it is still used as much as it is in the games industry are:

1.) Entire codebases are written in C++, and it would be too much trouble to convert all those lines to something like C# or Java.

2.) A great many API's are designed with C++ in mind, including PC market leaders DirectX and OpenGL.

If you want to get a job in the games industry any time soon, you will have to learn C++ eventually (because it won't be going anywhere for a while), but you shouldn't limit yourself to just that.

Anyway... starting with a GameMaker wouldn't be a bad idea. Most have their own built-in scripting system, which can serve as an excellent introduction to "real" programming.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
*bangs head on desk*

What is with this inceasant need to dumb down the learning process?

I say jump in the water and start off with C++. It worked for me and a lot of people on this forum.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
*bangs head on desk*

I say jump in the water and start off with C++. It worked for me and a lot of people on this forum.

agreed. My theory on why stuff like .net and python are so becoming popular is because people keep associating C++ with the Win32 API, which is quite possibly the most frustrating way to set up a window there is. They don't realise that with stuff like GLUT and SDL, the process of setting up windows isn't that hard. And lets face it: once you finish setting up the window and start using stuff like Opengl and Direct3d, all languages are essentially equally hard because the API requires the same functions to be called no matter what language you use.

"Dumb down"? The guy wants to learn to make games. Learning that destructors have to be virtual in base classes whose subclasses are deleted by a base class pointer is probably a different item on his list, lower down.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
"Dumb down"? The guy wants to learn to make games. Learning that destructors have to be virtual in base classes whose subclasses are deleted by a base class pointer is probably a different item on his list, lower down.

I'll concede that there's 0 need to learn C++ if you're not going to work in the industry.

But you can't prove that it's not important to know C++ when working professionally, that every ounce of a experience with the language isn't important, or that people that start out with other languages somehow in the long run turn out to be better programmers.

If you want to make a quick game I'de suggest using Game Maker. I am personnaly not that fond of it, but it is good for RAD development. If you are planning to get more serious I'de suggest learning C++ and using SDL for your games. I found SDL quite an easy to learn API and it will help with your C++ skills. DSL can also be coupled with OpenGl. Optionally, you can also use C# or any .NET language. The only downside with them is that if you ever go and try to learn C++, you may be more discouraged to learn the language because of how much easier C# is.
But you can't prove that it's not important to know C++ when working professionally, that every ounce of a experience with the language isn't important, or that people that start out with other languages somehow in the long run turn out to be better programmers.

Of course it's important. In particular, it's important to have knowledge of topics such as virtual function binding. Tell me: Did you use virtual function binding when you learned "Hello world"?
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Of course it's important. In particular, it's important to have knowledge of topics such as virtual function binding. Tell me: Did you use virtual function binding when you learned "Hello world"?

Actually you bring forth another good point.

You don't have to know all of C++ to make a game in C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement