Gamemaker or C?

Started by
72 comments, last by MadDog72 17 years, 11 months ago
I'm extremely new to game making. I know nothing of codes. But, I do have an outdated book called how to make games in c. I was in the process of piecing together a tutorial from use in gamemaker, however my version of gamemaker is unregistered and apparently won't let me write scripts. I've no desire to pay for a programme I may or may not use, so, I weighed my options and moved on. I have installed Dev C++. I hear that C++ is THE language of game making. And I also hear you can write C code in C++. I'm guessing I can begin learning to make code with this free programme. Is that wise? And whatis OpenGL? Should I invest my time with it? I hear it's THE thing for game making. And can anyone lend advise to a heathen?
Advertisement
game maker is crap i personally hate it and as a newvbie programmer myself, c++ is hard and challenging but you can make much better games from it but it takes time. Open GL is an api used to create the graphics for the game and is the linux distro version to microsoft's directx. if you have time use c++ if not then use gamemaker but your games are going to look like crap as the graphics are not that good. I personally dont like it bvut i do have it and you need a knowledge of sprites to use gm
Quote:Original post by kingsrookie
game maker is crap i personally hate it and as a newvbie programmer myself,

Yes you're true kingsrookie but it's nice to design game prototypes if you don't want to spend a lot of time and get an idea of what you want..
of course for a more reliable and sustainable project should C++ programming considered

Quote:Original post by kingsrookie
Open GL is an api used to create the graphics for the game

OpenGL doesn't create graphics for games.

C++ and SDL would be a good chice to get started
Quote:Original post by onan
And I also hear you can write C code in C++. I'm guessing I can begin learning to make code with this free programme. Is that wise?

C++ is more or less c with new features,
also yes, devc++ is somewhat simpler and less bloated than microsft compilers
Gamemaker is fine, as along as ur not trying to make Wolf 3D or Quake.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

gamemaker vs c really depends on two thing
1 how quciky do you want to see results
2 how far do you want to go with this (learning to make games)
Start Here.
Python. PyGame. PyGame Tutorials. Python Game Programming.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Quote:Original post by JohnBSmall
Start Here.
Python.

Agreed. Learn programming first. Games are impossibly difficult to write if you don't know how to code. If you know C++ in and out, games are then slightly easier than impossible. But if you don't know a thing about programming, you can't make a game yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement