[java] Printing a double to 2 decimal places in Java 1.4

Started by
17 comments, last by Son of Cain 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi, Can someone give me an example of printing a double to 2 decimal places in java - I am trying to understand how this DecimalFormat works and I don't seem to be getting it right. From the API I know this function exists but what is FieldPosition and what parametes does it take ? public StringBuffer format(double number, StringBuffer result, FieldPosition fieldPosition) I am on the right track right that I have to use this function to do this ? Thanks
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
Advertisement
Apart from using the printf function...

float f = 2.3567f;System.out.printf("%.2f", f);

(Or something like that, my C is rusty and I never did that with Java before, only know that it is available from 1.5+)

...You can create a number formatter instance using a pattern ("#.##", to be more specific).

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Here's the 1.4 way.

import java.text.*;public class Test{    public static void main(String[] args)    {        double d = 1.234567;        DecimalFormat df = new DecimalFormat("#.##");        System.out.print(df.format(d));    }}
I find this easiest
double d = 12.345678;int r = (int)(d * 100);double f = r / 100.0;System.out.println(f);

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

capn_midnight's method will fail if one decimal place is enough for a lossless back n forth (print'n'parse) transformation.

bsh % double d = 5;
bsh % int r = (int)(d * 100);
bsh % double f = r / 100.0;
bsh % print(f);

duh :)

bsh % double d=5;
bsh % int r=(int)Math.round(d*100);
bsh % print((r/100)+"."+(r%100<
My post has been capped o_O

bsh % double d=5;
bsh % int r=(int)Math.round(d*100);
bsh % print((r/100)+"."+(r%100<
Geez. This forum is the worst.

http://phpfi.com/115271

ffs
that's why you should A) login, and B) learn HTML character entities.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Its not my fault that this forum software is badly written.

Oh and I know about html entities... thanks for your worries. Its just... I've never seen a forum, which cant handle the escaping by itself. Its very basic stuff after all.

And login... I dont really feel like registering here. This half-dead subforum wont justify the trouble :P
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Its not my fault that this forum software is badly written.

If you think this forum software is badly written, you haven't seen this yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement