GUI Interface-intensive game programming

Started by
6 comments, last by idloco 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I am currently working on a game project which is heavily GUI-dependent -- and as such I have a hard time deciding which development tool to use. I thought of trying C++/SDL or C++/Direct3D combo, but balk at the thought at coding all the UI elements (Dialog, sliders ande tc.). So the questions are: - Are there any game development engines which have those tools built. I know Torque has, for one. - Are there any free standalone (or affordable, say, less than USD25?) libraries which offer such GUI elements for use in a DirectX or SDL project? Failing which, I guess I just have to stick to Director or Flash for the project, but Director's applications always seem to lag horribly, for some reasons. Thanks in advance!
GamesTopica.Net- http://www.gamestopica.net
Advertisement
DirectX has a pretty nice GUI already. You may want to look into using that. It has most of the controls you would need for a game.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Crazy Eddie's GUI (CEGUI) is a good standalone library for C++. You can integrate pretty much any renderer type into (D3D, OpenGL, Ogre, Irrlicht).
Quote:Original post by ussnewjersey4
DirectX has a pretty nice GUI already. You may want to look into using that. It has most of the controls you would need for a game.

Sorry, can you please elaborate? I don't remember Direct3D or the C++ Direct3DX library being packed with GUI programming elements.
GamesTopica.Net- http://www.gamestopica.net
If you plan on writing a 3d game I suggest using the Irrlicht engine. The GUI system is very easy to use and most GUI elements are already implemented. The code is very well documented as well, so implementing your own elements would be fairly easy. Also there are 3rd party tools available so you can graphically design the GUI instead of writing it all by hand.

I hear lots of people talk of CEGUI, I have never used it, but It would probably be worth checking out, since I know Ogre makes use of this engine.
You may be able to use something like GameSWF to embed SWF in your game code.
For SDL, there is ParaGUI, but i'm not sure i would totally recommend it. It's not bad, it's just a little rough around the edges. Here's a few screenshots of a project i did with it.

That said, A GUI intensive game is still a GUI intensive game at the end of the day. GUIs are a lot of work regardless of what lib you use. Just slog through it and get it done!
Quote:Original post by Extrakun
Quote:Original post by ussnewjersey4

Sorry, can you please elaborate? I don't remember Direct3D or the C++ Direct3DX library being packed with GUI programming elements.

a Sample in the dx SDK
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement