DirectX Point Sprites

Started by
3 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 11 months ago
This is a simple questions hopefully. And it also goes out to any Xbox/360 developers as that is what it is mainly for. Are point sprites, created and rendered via HLSL the fastest way to draw camera orientated, fixed sized sprites? I don't need any rotation within the sprite either, just a fade value. If they arn't, what is a faster methods? Thanks :)
I didn't implement our partical rendering personally, but I believe when we switched from aligned quads to point sprites we did see a good performance increase on the 360. I'm not sure about our pc build... It wouldn't hurt to try, it's easy enough to implement.
Daniel
It's not that simple because it depends on your batching. If you have to change a whole bunch of states back and forth to do it when there exists another method that doesn't involve a whole bunch of expensive state changes then the latter might be better. The problem depends on the architecture unless you are just doing a trivial demo.

There is very little state changes required when rendering our batches, and there are so few batches due to the way I have structured the engine that it can run with about 3 calls per frame.

Daisy

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement