Sign in to follow this  
Maxim Skachkov

[.net] WIN32 exe-file from a C# code

NGen.exe will precompile your managed assemblies into native format. But it gets stashed away somewhere in the system, and you still need the managed assembly to run. So, strictly, no.

There are lots of other reasons this doesn't work. Managed apps require a .NET framework to run, even if they're NGen'd.

Develop in .NET and put the framework as a requirement to run your application. The more people who develop in .NET, the people will download and install it. This is something new and users will have to conform sooner then later.

No, because you will always need the Framework to run your app – that's where the Console class is defined, and you can't write anything without that! But .Net is shipped with XP SP2, so more and more people will have it anyway.

Quote:
Original post by Bob Janova
No, because you will always need the Framework to run your app – that's where the Console class is defined, and you can't write anything without that! But .Net is shipped with XP SP2, so more and more people will have it anyway.

Nope, only 1.1, and thats a huge pile of steaming sh*t :) But i think Windows Update gets the 2.0 for you, and theres is the redist version, with its size about 24MB (?) Not a big deal...

I'm realy liking this whole .NET setup thing, but I think they should have done some COM magic under the hood. Say I write a program using .NET 3.0, but the next version of windows only ships with .NET 3.1. My program is already obsolete before it ships. I lost the source code too.

My only option is to hack the .exe with the .NET disassembler, see what needs to be fixed for 3.1 compliance, and reassemble the binary.

But other than that minor annoyance, i'm realy loving the platform.

You can also have .NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed at the same time and the JIT will use the most appropriately installed version.