Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Getting Started with C# and DirectX

This topic is 4247 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I've been working on a small 2D engine for some time using SDL, OpenGL, and OpenAL. I recently thought I'd try modeling the engine in C#. I really like C# and I hadn't used it for 3D applications before until I followed a small Tao.OpenGL tutorial. I'm really interested in trying to do some 3D programming for once. :-) I have very little experience with DirectX though. I have a copy of [u]Beginning C# Game Programming[/u] which uses managed DirectX, but it doesn't go into using Direct3D for 3D graphics, not to mention that it uses a dated version of the SDK. I've focused more on C++/SDL/OpenGL than the book, so DirectX is still a bit of a mystery to me. I have two questions, really. What are the basic differences of designing a 3D engine as opposed to a 2D engine? My 2D engine's most vital graphics objects are Sprite, Background, etc.. How should I model 3D objects? Is using some sort of Shape object unusual, or a Model or Mesh object for complex models loaded from files? Should a World or Scene object be used to store Shape and Model objects? Also, does anyone know any good tutorials that can get me started with Direct3D (and DirectInput, for that matter)? I'm sure I can just run a quick search and find some stuff, but I wanted to know what's really worth the time. Thanks a lot! :-)

ZBuffer Managed DirectX tutorial list includes everything I can find from tutorials, to sample code, to entire games source downloads.

Best of the bunch for Managed tutorials becuase they have the widest selection and are pretty much up to date as far as SDKs go.
MDXInfo
C-unit
Rocket Commander an entire MDX game to download with video tutorials on MSDN.

Quote:
Original post by thezbuffer
ZBuffer Managed DirectX tutorial list includes everything I can find from tutorials, to sample code, to entire games source downloads.

Best of the bunch for Managed tutorials becuase they have the widest selection and are pretty much up to date as far as SDKs go.
MDXInfo
C-unit
Rocket Commander an entire MDX game to download with video tutorials on MSDN.

Excellent suggestions, all. I would also like to recommend the book, "DirectX 9 Graphics and Game Programming Kickstart" by Tom Miller. That's the book that got me started with Managed DirectX development and I recommend it to everyopne wanting to get started. Also, while not directly related to MDX, the book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by Frank D. Luna offers great explanations of DirectX coding with C# ports of all the source code on the website. Hope some of this helps you out.

-AJ

Thanks for the book suggestions. :-)

The Amazon customer reviews say that the first book is a bit dated and uses the DirectX 9.0b SDK, but I'm sure it's still a good buy. Could anyone direct me to any other possible books to get into 3D game developement with C#...?

Thanks again!

[Edit] I checked the date of the book and 1st printing was Oct 03 which means it predates 9.0c so I was wrong about that in my original reply, it does use 9.0b. However my point about the code changes still stands, the API didn't change as much as rumor would have it. I think it took me a couple of hours to get things converted over. See Managed DirectX versions).

However not to worry because I have updated code for both of Tom's books and Lynn Harrisons too on TheZBuffer. See Managed DirectX books.

Also read this gamedev thread about managed directx books

Given that MDX is changing direction toward the XNA framework I don't expect to see any new books soon. Technical books have a short shelf life without shooting yourself in the foot by working on an API which you know will change soon.

I have a few simple tutorials up on codeproject:

http://codeproject.com/cs/media/SettingUpDirectX.asp

That is just the first one, but they link to each other.

Good luck

This topic is 4247 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.